Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Outback XT few months back and I think that over estimated the off-road capabilities. Got stuck!!!!. Had to call a tow truck.
Every possible sensor light came on. It was much deeper than it appears in the photos.
I could hear exhaust pipe in the slush making bubble sounds :). It was deep and no traction on any wheel.
It took 3 days to clean-up and had to open under body panels to get rid of the dried slush and what not. Survived with just some scratches on the one wheel.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,063 Posts
Now you know what it can't do!

Haven't gotten stuck but that could mean I'm not trying hard enough. :LOL:
I did have to reverse up a muddy inclined road after stopping halfway down. I thought I wasn't going to make it since I had no momentum but the AWD just clawed its way up. The front underpan was like a shovel and scooped up lots of mud along the way. A couple of years later I can still see some of that mud in the car.

·
Premium Member
2017 3.6R Touring
109 Posts

In my old 1998 Outback with all seasons, I got stuck at the corner of my drive. It was more snow with slush and ice. Picture doesn't really show it, but it's a steep uphill to the right and when snow melts it flows down and collects in that corner where it ices up during cold nights. I was able it dig it out, get traction and get going. Only happened once though. Many other snow storms and it had no problems.

Here's the old one.

Reactions: x.Tubaru

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now you know what it can't do!

Haven't gotten stuck but that could mean I'm not trying hard enough. :LOL:
I did have to reverse up a muddy inclined road after stopping halfway down. I thought I wasn't going to make it since I had no momentum but the AWD just clawed its way up. The front underpan was like a shovel and scooped up lots of mud along the way. A couple of years later I can still see some of that mud in the car.
I can totally understand the shovel and scoop affect. I was near the lake area and I had to clean lbs and lbs of sand, debris and what not. Was it fun to drive that course? Oh yeah!!! If I don't think about the time it took to clean. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can totally understand the shovel and scoop affect. I was near the lake area and I had to clean lbs and lbs of sand, debris and what not. Was it fun to drive that course? Oh yeah!!! If I don't think about the time it took to clean. :)
View attachment 520121

In my old 1998 Outback with all seasons, I got stuck at the corner of my drive. It was more snow with slush and ice. Picture doesn't really show it, but it's a steep uphill to the right and when snow melts it flows down and collects in that corner where it ices up during cold nights. I was able it dig it out, get traction and get going. Only happened once though. Many other snow storms and it had no problems.

Here's the old one.

View attachment 520123
I was not lucky to get out and being out of no where I was charged a lot to be pulled out.
The guy drove 60 miles one way to reach me. Thanks to Subaru SOS that provided exact coordinates of my location for towing.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited, Magnetite Gray
58 Posts
MPG looks pretty good 😉...... have fun with clean up!

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,870 Posts
Almost... The rest of the roads were plowed, mine wasn't, figured I could be fine if I could get off my road, I couldn't. It's a decent slope down, too. Some of my neighbors got a comedy show while I got unstuck and back into the garage...

Here's what it looked like later in the day. It was actually coming down at such a rate that the OB was coated by the time I got back into the garage...

·
Registered
22 Green Onyx Ordered May 28th. Built 7.21.21. Arrived Aug 4th
221 Posts
Stock tires?
I got a new Outback XT few months back and I think that over estimated the off-road capabilities. Got stuck!!!!. Had to call a tow truck.
Every possible sensor light came on. It was much deeper than it appears in the photos.
I could hear exhaust pipe in the slush making bubble sounds :). It was deep and no traction on any wheel.
It took 3 days to clean-up and had to open under body panels to get rid of the dried slush and what not. Survived with just some scratches on the one wheel.
View attachment 520115

View attachment 520116
View attachment 520117
View attachment 520118 View attachment 520119
Stock tires?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited
301 Posts
View attachment 520115
What tires do you have?

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited
164 Posts
Looks like it got a little warm! I don't own a 6th gen so I don't know exactly where the temp gauge needle usually sits, but I imagine it's lower than that!

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
111 Posts
I was not lucky to get out and being out of no where I was charged a lot to be pulled out.
The guy drove 60 miles one way to reach me. Thanks to Subaru SOS that provided exact coordinates of my location for towing.
What did the tow company use to get you unstuck?

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
922 Posts
I have been extremely fortunate that I never got stuck. Where we used to live (Central Sierras of CA), it sometimes snowed so much (and the snowplows hadn't gotten yet to our street) that I could hear snow scraping on the underside of the car as I drove forward (we'd have near a foot of snow on the ground)! This was in our 2011 OB, so no "X Mode".

Reactions: jes2 and x.Tubaru

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What did the tow company use to get you unstuck?
A highly modified Jeep Wrangler Sport with massive All Terrain tires.
The guy refused to take that also in this mess. He used my toe hook to pull me out - I climbed inside the car to get it out from the trunk. It was a great experience.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
1,183 Posts
over estimated the off-road capabilities
glad your satelite rescue system worked

mud is extremely difficult to drive through
mud will fill just about any tire tread, including BFG AT KO, and turn it into a big slippery donut...

Maybe If you had carried a hand winch, you could have pulled yourself out...

dont get fooled into thinking that maxtrax or other recovery boards would have made any difference..

you car tires were not the problem
you just needed to learn not to drive in mud, alone, in the middle of nowhere
glad nobody got hurt

1 - 20 of 69 Posts