Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy L Outback Wagon 2.5L AT, 2004 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT, 2000 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an EJ25 Block with the thrust bearing on #3 journal from a junkyard. I was intending to use this block to replace one that had a rod thrown on it.

While pulling the timing belt pulley, I noticed that there was some significant axial play on the crank. I continued disassembly of the motor. When I opened it up I found that there was 0.032" (yes inch, 3X max spec) clearance between the crank and the thrust bearing.

Is this a problem that can be corrected or is this block junk?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Is the wear in the crank, in the bearing, or both?

The block should be untouched unless the bearing was spun, no?

Or did subaru do something silly like have the crank use the block as a thrust surface?

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy L Outback Wagon 2.5L AT, 2004 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT, 2000 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the wear in the crank, in the bearing, or both?

The block should be untouched unless the bearing was spun, no?

Or did subaru do something silly like have the crank use the block as a thrust surface?
I'm not sure what is worn. The thrust bearing is 21.45mm and the crank space around journal #3 must be 22.86mm. I don't know the factory specs on those parts.

There is also wear that is evident from the crank rubbing against the side of the #2 journal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearing length information

Here is the end of the story: To get back to factory specs for thrust bearing clearance a custom bearing can be requested from ACL engine bearings. The reason that there was so much slop in the bearing was due to excessive wear, not because a thrust bearing for journal #5 was installed in the #3 location.

ACLs web page is the best source that I've found for the bearing dimensions on Subaru Engines. I found that the thrust bearing is 1mm longer if it is in the #5 journal position than it is on the #3 journal position. That is why it is important to know which engine you have before you order bearings.

The EJ25D (Dual Cam ) has only 4 bolts in the bell housing that connect the engine and transmission. This is the one with the thrust bearing on the #3 journal. Make sure this is the one you really want before you bring it home from the boneyard!

Bearing that are oversized in the length direction are not available from Subaru according to my local (very good) parts guy.

Bearing Specifications for reference:
Engine Bearings :: ACL Distribution, Inc.
http://www.aclus.com/content/ACL07.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts