Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic is currently doing the HG on my EJ25 engine in my 97 Outback. He says he needs to find the drivers side exhaust cam cap?? He had to heat it up to get it off and now he says he needs to replace it due to it warping. Otherwise he will have to try and sand it down to create the clearance it needs. He asked me to come on here and try and locate one. I guess he tried to go thru a Subaru dealer and they will only sell him the complete head! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to find one of these. Thanks for any help. P.S. He said he tried searching on the internet and he couldn't find any.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're line-bored to the head. The cam caps have a two letter code stamped into them (in addition to the alphanumeric code identifying where each one goes) so it's possible you might be able to use a used one with the same code but unlikely.

I've tried to swap them from head to head before and wound up seizing a camshaft. Probably best to replace the whole head.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.