Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 subaru legacy outback, 2.5l
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a rock hit my exhaust and i looks like it cracked the weld on the cat i believe what are my options. car is super loud and MPG's will prolly be worse i imagine

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
IMO, the best route to take would be to replace it since the hit from the rock may have also damaged the "honeycomb" elements inside it, plus re-welding may not be a easy task. RockAuto.ca should have a replacement cat that fits your budget.

It also looks like your missing the orginal subaru spring/bolt combo where the mid pipe and cat assembly bolt together, that is there to lessen exhaust vibration and stress. RockAuto should also have those plus the gaskets.

·
Registered
1999 subaru legacy outback, 2.5l
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if i need to replace it, i need to buy the two cats and could use the stock cat back? and will i be good to drive it as is for a few days?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Yes you could use the stock cat back. I would just replace the rear cat, if your current cat assembly doesn't have a flange between the two cats then you just get a flange welded in and bolt on the new rear cat assembly as it will have flanges on both ends. The problem with driving the car around like this is that the exhaust gases won't be all vented out the rear so there might be some risk if gases entering into the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts