Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I suspected this, and wasn't until today when I pulled out of my spot and saw three spots of exhaust water that I knew there was an exhaust leak at the muffler split. Attached a photo of what I'm referring to, forgot to grab a photo. In the OB there are to parallel plates on top and bottom which brace it.

As far as plugging this up, do you think I could mash in some high temp silicone? Or Jb Weld?

Attachments

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
I think that's a pretty common spot for the exhaust to leak. My sister's 06 Outback has a leak in the same spot. I haven't fixed it yet, but I saw someone else basically just welded a plate to the back (rear) of the 'brace' plates to close it up. It doesn't 'fix' the issue so much as it hides it, but fixin's fixin' ;)

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,908 Posts
so it can't be welded there or what was problem that you did not fixed it ? everything can be welded. and then if it problematic place you can make it more stronger to weld some plate on top of both pipes so they don't split in future. or i'm missing something here ?

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so it can't be welded there or what was problem that you did not fixed it ? everything can be welded. and then if it problematic place you can make it more stronger to weld some plate on top of both pipes so they don't split in future. or i'm missing something here ?
There seems to be a 'leak' at the seam between the two pipes. I have yet to do anything to remedy it. I have access to a welder, but in order to use it I'd likely have to remove the exhaust, which might not be an option due to extreme rust (it's lived it's whole life on the east coast). So I'm hoping for a fix that doesn't involve replacement or welding, if such a fix exists.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,908 Posts
if those other plates holds well just cut another peace so it fit in that gap. and weld it to those other plates.
but first all that rust must be cleaned to metal or it wont weld. small metal brushes to drill might fit there to clean all that

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
if those other plates holds well just cut another peace so it fit in that gap. and weld it to those other plates.
but first all that rust must be cleaned to metal or it wont weld. small metal brushes to drill might fit there to clean all that
That is what I would do. Just need to be careful welding to the actual pipe. Looks like it is pretty thin and you could easily burn through it. Should be able to accomplish the task without removing the pipe.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
You'll have to seal up the couple drain holes in the plates too (you can see one in the left side of the bottom plate in the above photo).

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
90 Posts
Welding on a car with a computer is risky. The closer to the ECU the more risk to frying it. Just removing the negative battery cable may work but I do not arc weld (Stick , Mig or Tig) on an of my cars that have a ECM/ECU.

Maybe just me. If its not overly loud or filling Carbon Monoxide in the cabin, I'd leave it till later.

·
Registered
05 Outback
27 Posts
I used a high temp jb weld and filled that cavity. onced it hardened no air was coming out anymore.

So I suspected this, and wasn't until today when I pulled out of my spot and saw three spots of exhaust water that I knew there was an exhaust leak at the muffler split. Attached a photo of what I'm referring to, forgot to grab a photo. In the OB there are to parallel plates on top and bottom which brace it.

As far as plugging this up, do you think I could mash in some high temp silicone? Or Jb Weld?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.