Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV Special Edition
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Sub-Heads!
My local mechanic has discovered a couple of small exhaust leaks on my beloved Nancy (2009 Outback 2.5i PZEV). Namely on the rear Y-Pipe where the single pipe splits into the dual exhaust. It appears to be coming out right in the middle of the Y and as such is a challenging spot to patch. There is also a leak coming off of the right headers, but that is just a gasket. In the event that the exhaust isn't repairable, should I replace it with OEM spec parts (and keep the charcoal canister as well as the oversized Catalytic Converter) or go for a more "performance-oriented" set up (Borla Catback for example?) With the NA EJ253 would there be a noticeable boost in power or would I just be making the car louder?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZERO performance gains and lots of drone.
Awesome, thank you for your input. Do you know when an exhaust upgrade would provide a performance boost?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
203 Posts
Just put OEM on it. You won't see any gains unless you start modding the engine. Probably even lose power or torque. If sound is what you are after, then I guess. It is an outback after all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just put OEM on it. You won't see any gains unless you start modding the engine. Probably even lose power or torque. If sound is what you are after, then I guess. It is an outback after all.
Noise is secondary to performance so I guess OEM is the way to go. Thank you

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,669 Posts
My local mechanc often can 'weld up' such exhaust leaks for $25 or so. Often, these 'fixes' last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback
110 Posts
Had an exhaust leak in the exact same spot. I just bought a direct fit catback exhaust on ebay for around $350 and it fit and works great. Much better than the $1500 subaru wanted to fix it. And as long as your exhaust isn't to rusty, its definitely an easy job. Took me and a friend about 3 hours to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had an exhaust leak in the exact same spot. I just bought a direct fit catback exhaust on ebay for around $350 and it fit and works great. Much better than the $1500 subaru wanted to fix it. And as long as your exhaust isn't to rusty, its definitely an easy job. Took me and a friend about 3 hours to do.
I will keep that option open if it can't be welded back together

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,612 Posts
If you can get it off the car without breaking it, I'd be surprised of a good local welder couldn't fix it.

When you go to put it back together, treat the flanges with a rust converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want added sound there's lots of options but for me I'd go with oem. It has enough sound unless you try to modify your engine for added hp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts