Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2.5 Touring w/ Technology Package
73 Posts
Just found this thread. Guess what. I have the same issue and my car is at 90,000km. So what's happening here with our cars? I have to have the catalytic converter and this flex ring replaced. I just got the recall notice for the "front exhaust pipe assembly" also.. so I'd like to know whats going on with this issue..

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2.5 Touring w/ Technology Package
73 Posts
Same issue here with my 2015 Outback. Noise started at around 40K miles and dealer told me that there was no issue. Noise and smell in cabin became progressively worse and my mchanic did a temp fix at around 60K miles. This worked for a while but while noise is not too bad, I still smell fumes in car at standstill after a long drive. Turns out that Subaru Canada will not sell to a private shop - it's a "dealer only" part. I'm not interested in going to a dealer to install what appears to be a bad design that will likely crack again. - I'm now at 75K miles and out of warranty (Canada). Will try a muffler repair shop to see if they will replace the bellows with a woven mesh coupling.
I said the same thing to my dealer also. Said the car is loud.. they told me that its because the oil needed to be replaced. uh huh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
According to my mechanic, the entire section as shown in the pic at the beginning of this thread will need replacement. He estimated the the cost of the exhaust would be around C$1000 without labor. I called both the dealership and Subaru Canada yesterday but neither would give me any explanation of how the repair will be done or when the parts are expected to arrive.

I have to say that even though I love my Outback, I am put off by both the dealer's and Subaru Canada's Customer service and consequently ruled out Subaru for the vehicle I am about to purchase.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I started this thread in January 2018...because the exhaust pipe assembly had a cracked flexible joint in my 2016 Outback 2.5i with 40,000 miles on it. The dealership replaced it at no charge. Now, nearly 2 years later and 30,000 additional miles, there is a recall on the exhaust system (Recall # WUB87 15-19 years Leg/Out Front exhaust Pipe Replacement). I thought it was the same problem and when the dealership contacted me recently so I told them I already had it repaired BUT..this turned out to be a different issue. A few days ago, the exhaust system started making a lot of noise...(rattling and obvious exhaust leak) so I took it to the dealership and they found all three bolts that connect the mid-pipe assembly to the manifold were missing. I have to assume they were not put in tightly in January of 2018 and simply fell out! While I was there, the dealership also replaced the entire exhaust pipe including the front catalytic converter under the recall and said it was being replaced with an upgraded assembly. It cost me nothing but would have been nearly $1,000 if not for the recall.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
According to my mechanic, the entire section as shown in the pic at the beginning of this thread will need replacement. He estimated the the cost of the exhaust would be around C$1000 without labor. I called both the dealership and Subaru Canada yesterday but neither would give me any explanation of how the repair will be done or when the parts are expected to arrive.

I have to say that even though I love my Outback, I am put off by both the dealer's and Subaru Canada's Customer service and consequently ruled out Subaru for the vehicle I am about to purchase.

Check out the recent Subaru recall...."WUB-87 LEG/OUT FRONT EXHAUST PIPE REPLACEMENT"...The original exhaust system may be defective per the Service Bulletin affecting some 2015-2018 Legacy and Outback 2.5l models.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I said the same thing to my dealer also. Said the car is loud.. they told me that its because the oil needed to be replaced. uh huh.
Check out the recent Subaru recall...."WUB-87 LEG/OUT FRONT EXHAUST PIPE REPLACEMENT"...The original exhaust system may be defective per the Service Bulletin affecting some 2015-2018 Legacy and Outback 2.5l models.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just found this thread. Guess what. I have the same issue and my car is at 90,000km. So what's happening here with our cars? I have to have the catalytic converter and this flex ring replaced. I just got the recall notice for the "front exhaust pipe assembly" also.. so I'd like to know whats going on with this issue..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi John,

I received the emissions recall notice on Nov 4 - it seems that the exhaust section including a Cat convertor cracks under stress. Subaru Canada advised in their letter that they would contact me when the replacement part comes in. To date, no calls or mail from Subaru Canada. I called both the dealership and Subaru Canada and the dealership will not take on the repair job even when I offered to pay, claiming that they don't have the parts. Subaru Canada cannot tell me when the parts will arrive from Japan - I am really disappointed by the quality of response from Subaru. They appear to be no better than GM or FCI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Clayphish - missed your post above... Did you make any progress with getting your exhaust piece replaced?

Any other folks on the forum waiting for Subaru to complete the recall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the transmission replaced (under warranty thankfully) on our 2015, they said the recall for cracked exhaust (in Canada at least?) was under WUJ-95 but they are still waiting for parts and will call when they get it... took 6 months to get the replacement transmission so I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I started my claim with Subaru USA Today at lunch, and by 5:30 they denied any responsibility to the wub-87 recall listed above due to the car not throwing any codes and the fact that only 2500 are affected by the supposed faulty part.

I talked to a supervisor and complained and they sent me a $500 part and labor voucher! I’m very happy with them especially since it was out of warranty and they went above and beyond!

Cat and header will cost $545 discounted from the dealer, so $50ish plus gaskets? I’m almost willing to pay them to install depending on the price.

Thank you Subaru that is great customer service!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

1st post here and this is the topic on my mind, as the 2015 Outback I'm working on has this issue. It has 57k miles. I was hopeful the WUB-87 TSB would cover this, but the way I read it, it only covers parts that had been replaced under warranty in the past. New issues are not covered if the vehicle is out of warranty. If there is a different interpretation, or if there is a different TSB/recall that would cover this part, please post up, and post the notice too, if possible. You have to wonder why the WUB-87 affects over 2600 vehicles....why did Subaru have to replace so many front pipes in the past to begin with? Probably for cracking!

If anyone has tips on getting this covered by Subaru, please share. The owner of the car has bought 2 Subarus new, and lives in CA. My thinking is to try to get the part covered under goodwill by the dealership (similar to above post), or, if needed, possibly seeing if the CA Air Resource Board might take some action. The way I see it, the crack is releasing raw exhaust into the atmosphere, so the cat is NOT doing its job, and is therefore defective. Plus, the cat is on the same part as the cracking flex section, which has failed.

As common as this is, it really needs to be a recall IMO.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Why do so many expect someone else to pay for their out of warranty repairs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why defend what is clearly a design defect that results in a violation of the intent of emissions laws and dangerous condition for the occupants? These are failing seemingly frequently, and at relatively low miles, and the front pipe is obviously pre-stressed upon installation, which is not good design practice. The flex section is there to take out harmonics and relative motion between the engine and body, and not to compensate for an improperly toleranced set of assembled parts. Exhaust pipes are not supposed to be wear items any more than the engine block is.

·
Banned
4 Posts
On a serious side though, is it possible that your skin tone is blending in with the background of the camera's view? The camera has to make out facial features and if it can't determine features because you are "invisible" to it, then it's a lighting issue.

Snaptube Telegram Web Vidmate

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium LapisBlue
7 Posts
  • Open Service Program WUJ95-1 - WUJ-95 CAL-Spec EPF Cracking (PZEV)

• any differences before and after?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts