Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i have a 2000 subaru outback sedan limted, and i am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a borla header (from summit for 330$+free ship) and a stromong track downpipe 2.25" which as the embossments for O2 sensors (from boxer4racing.com ) and then was planning on straight pipe the rest out to a nice tip. from my local exhaust shop all at 2.25". i have a code showing now for the cat being bad anyway and i am not going to pay out the noise for a new one, the light being on doesnt really bother me. so my question is with that set up will i have any back pressure issues? ive heard the common upgrade for exhaust is to go down to 2.25" anyone can explain that to me that would be good, or would i be better of going with 2.5"?

my thought is if i really hate the straight pipe i can always add a muffler later if and when i find one i like and that is affordable.

obnoxious i know but this is a vid i found that might be similar to my end result:

any in put or suggestions are welcome

thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Leave it stock

If it were me?
I wouldn't do anything to make the car louder.
Try having a conversation with your passengers on a long trip. Try explaining to the cop that pulls you over that what you have is completely legal.

In the end, that money could be spent on something that will make a difference, like if you spent all the money on gas and oil changes.

However, with all that being said, it's your car, it's your neighborhood, your friends and your family that will be hearing it, so whether I like it or not like it really makes no difference, you don't live next door to me.

I do know that, if you were my neighbor and went by my house ten times a day with that thing, I might complain, to the local police or even to you.

When I was younger, I had loud exhaust systems. In my opinion, they are very short-lived as for the "fun-factor" - after several days or weeks, I ended up not liking the loudness and ended up putting it back together stock, and then enjoyed all the quiet I began to miss with all that noise.

Of course, it is your car, you will do what you want whether I like or do not like the sound!

Permanently removing the catalytic converter is knowingly removing a pollution control device - which is a felony.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were me?
I wouldn't do anything to make the car louder.
Try having a conversation with your passengers on a long trip. Try explaining to the cop that pulls you over that what you have is completely legal.

In the end, that money could be spent on something that will make a difference, like if you spent all the money on gas and oil changes.

However, with all that being said, it's your car, it's your neighborhood, your friends and your family that will be hearing it, so whether I like it or not like it really makes no difference, you don't live next door to me.

I do know that, if you were my neighbor and went by my house ten times a day with that thing, I might complain, to the local police or even to you.

When I was younger, I had loud exhaust systems. In my opinion, they are very short-lived as for the "fun-factor" - after several days or weeks, I ended up not liking the loudness and ended up putting it back together stock, and then enjoyed all the quiet I began to miss with all that noise.

Of course, it is your car, you will do what you want whether I like or do not like the sound!

Permanently removing the catalytic converter is knowingly removing a pollution control device - which is a felony.
im not necessarily trying to make it louder, and i figure if it does get annoying i can always add a glasspack or magnaflow or something. to make it more mild. i do however change my oil every 3k, and im not one of those people who stomp on it on city streets, im much more mild, just once in awhile i like make some noise on a hwy or something, gravel country back roads ya know :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
I understand, I came on a little harsh with you, then I realized you are new here, I must apologize to you for being so stern.

I understand, when I was repairing my car two months ago, I had to remove the entire center pipe and resonator, which meant both rear mufflers were cut off at the flanges. I must admit, I had some fun "roaring" around!

I knew my wife would have hated that, and it is primarily her car, so I put it all back together in a few hours.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its all good man, no harm done, i assure you the forum for my 03 cadillac STS is/has been much worse. i know some of the things i have been asking are "iffy" but never hurts to ask, IMO. also my apologies for all the posts but i figured i would make multiple considering all of them were different topics (mostly aimed toward performance) but no one likes to answer 20 questions on one post. thanks for all your help as ive noticed you have tried to help me on all my questions. to be honest i posted on here couple months ago with similar questions and no one replied which kind of turned me off this forum.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Based on your plugs question: A down pipe will be of no use on your car. Down pipes are for turbo charged cars.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hate to say it Hylander but if you are looking for performance conversation about your car, this probably is not the forum for you. I like this place as they have a lot of good advice and very rarely get flamed but most of the people here are about slight/light mods and pretty much keep their stuff stock. Those who don't usually aren't asking questions and just post pics afterward.

There is a Legacy forum that, while not perfect, has a little more aggressive performance conversation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Frankly, if St J's car ever goes up for sale I would buy it in a heartbeat, everything about him says fantastic owner

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I really wouldn't go with so much straight pipe. If you're going to leave out the cat, at least get a dummy O2 sensor to cope with the CEL. To provide at least some of the expected backpressure from where the cat used to be, install a glasspack of about the same length. They're cheap, and you can basically just do that for where the 2-3 stock cats were. After that, you might find a relatively modest muffler will sound quite sweet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really wouldn't go with so much straight pipe. If you're going to leave out the cat, at least get a dummy O2 sensor to cope with the CEL. To provide at least some of the expected backpressure from where the cat used to be, install a glasspack of about the same length. They're cheap, and you can basically just do that for where the 2-3 stock cats were. After that, you might find a relatively modest muffler will sound quite sweet.
well i wasnt so worried about back pressure, because the way it sounds if you were to delete things like that going to a 2.25" would create enough back pressure but have better performance and flow then stock system (so ive understood) and i was thinking of going with a glass pack if i really did not like the straight, i mean like you said cheap and would be pretty easy. as far as the CEL it is already on because of bad cats, and the stromung track pipe has the inserts for the O2 sensors so should work. even if the CEL is on it doesnt bother me so much.

thanks for everyones imput

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
hylander6361
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing