Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My wife has a 2005 Impreza 2.5RS. We constantly getting exhaust leakage into the cabin. The car has been to the garage several (expensive) times and there has been no resolution. Leaks have been fixed and the center pipe replaced and still it stinks in there! Any ideas as what this could be would be appreciated as I, and apparently my mechanic, are stumped.:confused:
Thanks,
MSM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it definitely an exchaust smell and not gas? It's a little too early for this but I get that smell sometimes if I start the car after really cold night. 35degrees or less. The smell goes away after the car warms up but if it stays that cold everytime I turn it on I can smell a slight gas smell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it definitely an exchaust smell and not gas? It's a little too early for this but I get that smell sometimes if I start the car after really cold night. 35degrees or less. The smell goes away after the car warms up but if it stays that cold everytime I turn it on I can smell a slight gas smell.
If it's only when the vehicle has just started it could just be the cabin air sucking in exhaust from the garage/nearby, especially when reversing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had something similar to this on my 2008. My PCV system was broken and leaking out small amounts of oil onto hot running parts of the engine somewhere near the cabin creating the smell. I'd have a dealer check out your PCV system for sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Everyone else here has given you good options. Just want to say that if it is exhaust gasses getting into your cabin that is dangerous. Believe me when I say you can be overcome before you realize it is happening. I learned that almost the permanent way when I was 17 years old and working on a junk car. Please be careful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jake,
That is wht we're trying to figure it out. She rides with windows ajar. My wife drives it every day.

We've had it to two shops and neither can figure it out, CEL is on (Catalytic converter) but the smell isn't the sulphur smell one would get from that. There is no exhaust leaks we can find. There doesn't appear to be any fluid leakage either. I am really stumped. The only caveat is that the Impeza is a salvage car and I wonder if there is something from that. Thanks for everyones' input. I am parking the thing in the shop this weekend and climbing under it with a spotlight to see if I can catch something that was missed previously.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The smell does get stronger in reverse and while sitting in traffic. Could it be something as simple as the rubber seal around the tailgate? I'll check that out too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
exhaust smell in cabin fixed.

got ideas from this site. the center breather tube from the top of the engine going into air filter had come off the last time the air filter was changed. was getting bad exhaust while stopped but fine while driving. the tube looked attached but when i grabbed it i found out it was not on nipple on filter inlet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
1tnsuds
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing