Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, is there any website that sell cat-back exhausts or whole exhasuts for a 2003 outback, or legacy, or anything that will fit my car. I know Cobb sells one, but it is only for a sedan. Any way i could make it fit my wagon? If any are wondering i have a 2003 2.5 outback wagon. Thanks in advance.

-Will

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Will--

the Cobb pipe will be close enough that a competent local muff shop can cut n fit it to your car.

or you could have them bend up a whole cat-back for a lot less $ than the Cobb, with your choice of mufflers based on your noise tolerance. a couple of years back, Grassroots Motorsports ran tests on various exhausts, one of which was the locally bent + Walker "dynomax" muffler plan....VERY close to horsepower gains of pricey systems, like within 1-2 hp of even the best, for abt 1/5 the $. just a thought.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
cptoversteer said:

or you could have them bend up a whole cat-back for a lot less $ than the Cobb, with your choice of mufflers based on your noise tolerance. a couple of years back, Grassroots Motorsports ran tests on various exhausts, one of which was the locally bent + Walker "dynomax" muffler plan....VERY close to horsepower gains of pricey systems, like within 1-2 hp of even the best, for abt 1/5 the $. just a thought.....
Do you know what the muffler shop includes. Do they put in the 2 stock cats or do they replace with a high flow? I am interested in having them do one for me but, before I get there, I would like to know if others have had any experience with a "custom" exhaust. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
T-

the 02 OBS has the cats in the front "Y" pipe section, so the cat-back system won't affect them at all. replacing them would require special emissions hurdles (shop has to certify that old one was bad and needed replacement),so i'd stick with just the center and rear sections.

i just checked your profile and noted that you have an 02 OBS just like mine. in that case, definitely look into a used WRX system. i pd $50 for the one on my car and LOVE the sound quality and level, looks, and back pressure reduction. and it's quiet enough that girlfriend, who has no use for noisy performance exhausts, doesn't even notice; it's not at all intrusive until you get over 4000 rpm, at which point it develops a lovely snarl. and it's OEM, which is good for quality and not freaking the emissions guy out. you will need to weld in abt a 2" extension just aft of the flange where it connects to the front Y-pipe (ignore any of my previous posts on this prior to where i actually got it onto the car, as i erroneously thought i just had to cut flange off and rotate it), or a shop can do it for cheap. and this is even cheaper option than a locally bent pipe.

on locally bent system, there's no magic to it. it's actually easier than one for a traditional RWD Amurrikin car, as it doesn't have to go up and over the live axle. just do research and go to the shop in your area that the hot rodders seem to agree on.

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
catback upgrade

I had alittle cpr done to bring my subie to life.......I upgraded to 2.25" catback exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler from Exhaust Specialties(local shop) was only$225.00 My subie growls at WOT now but quiet at cruising .......forget cobb waste of cash.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Scooby,

When they did the exhaust for you did they put in a resonator between the cat and muffler?
Getting the same thing done in a couple of days. Not sure to go with a resonator or not.

n8

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
exhaust

they left it out so I could hear how it sounds . Nice and sporty but not obnoxious or too loud. The exhaust shop said they could add a resonater if I thought it was too loud. I was happy and the wife is ok with it...whew:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Performance without noise?

Coming from SUV land and despising those with the pissed off bees in a can sound, is there a quiet way (exhaust wise) to get performance?
Sounds like a Catback with resonator is the way to go?

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
3,594 Posts
Hrm...I hadn't ever really considered a local shop making a custom system, so perhaps this is a stupid question, but are you saying that most any local muffler shop should be able to bend+weld up a custom turbo-back exhaust with high flow mufflers and cat? ...for lots less than the major retailers? ...and a custom no-cat, high flow up-pipe too? ...really?

If this is a reasonable request for most muffler shops...perhaps I'll start asking around town for quotes...a turbo-back exhaust would rule! ..especially if it didn't break the bank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
JazzyMT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing