Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a tire go bad at 10,000 miles, the other 3 at 29,000 miles on 2014 Subaru Outback. Cheap, Continentals. In 3 years, I only put 30,000 on the car - mostly highway driving. I'm not hard on cars and have had tires last on other cars 40-50K. So, expect to have to replace Subaru's tires sooner rather than later. Wish they had just given me the option at time of purchase to buy a decent set of tires. :frown2:

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
That is common. The Continental tires are really soft tires. My 2010 had near identical tire issues with the Continentals. Im really happy with the BFG Advantage Pro. Tougher compound, slightly aggressive / hybrid tread. They have been great so far over 15,000.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
What went "bad" on them and did they come on the vehicle when purchased? At almost 4 years since production of the car, the tires (presumably manufactured before then) are on the last year of recommended use (5 years). A tire's lifespan is not dependent on mileage as it is age since the oils in them are always evaporating and drying it out which can lead to quicker wear. If the tires were having inconsistent wear patterns then you might need to check for an alignment as well.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
At 5 yrs tire rubber has cured to the point it looses it flexability and starts to become brittle. Those epic blowouts with tire tread all over the road and damaged fenders are the result of old tires.

Low quality tires even early in their life cycle can go out of round I had one continental tire do this on my subaru also right around 18,000. By 25,000 it could no longer be rotated to thr front it shook the steering wheel too much. Also every 9,000 miles all of the tires needed alot of weight to be rebalanced they were just junk tires. The bridgstone and bfg tires I run on the subarus require very little to any weight change during rotation rebalancing, last longer have not had any quality issues like the Continentals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.