Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 CVT Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me a average MPG estimate with 2.5L CVT towing a 5x8 Uhaul Trailer, Yakima Skybox 16 on the roof, total weight about 2500 pounds including everything?

I'm averaging 24 mpg right now without towing or Skybox. Are we talking about a drop to the high Teens?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Figure 12 mpg towing.
High teens is optimistic.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me a average MPG estimate with 2.5L CVT towing a 5x8 Uhaul Trailer, Yakima Skybox 16 on the roof, total weight about 2500 pounds including everything?

I'm averaging 24 mpg right now without towing or Skybox. Are we talking about a drop to the high Teens?
16mpg would be a very solid estimate possibly lower if you have a head wind. The roof gear and boxy trailer is your big hit on mileage. I get a solid 16mpg towing my boat with a head wind and the boat is far sleeker and lower profile than the Uhaul.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 CVT Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I put 14 mpg in my calculations. Sheesh, gonna cost me $600 in gas to get to Arizona :(.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
I towed about 1500 lbs with my car loaded with another 1000 lbs or so across the country and got 16-17 very consistently. That was a 2004 Outback with the 4EAT, but I doubt the CVT will help you out much in terms of MPG when towing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can do better, if you want.....

Have 2011 2.5 CVT towing a 6X10 (and 6 ft high - got the extra height so I can stand up, even though I know it cuts MPG) cargo trailer with two kayaks on subie and 2500 lbs in trailer and subie fully loaded as well - I got 19.7 to 26.7 with 23.2 being usual driving between Park City UT and Buena Vista CO (yes, over Indy pass at 12K high !). However I drive conservatively (slow...) at 45 mph on two lane rural roads and 55-60 mph on freeway. I avoid high traffic times so I am not "slowing" others down and pull over to help others pass. By driving like this, I can also average 32-35 mpg (38 was best) on long trips w/o the trailer and kayaks. The 19 mpg w/trailer was a short trip with mostly uphill in CO and head wind, but still driving 45 mph on rural and empty road. Of course if you "feel the need for speed" the lower teens would probably be your mpg w/trailer.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 CVT Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll budget $600 for Gas, I think that's more than the trailer rental... Could be worse though, shipping everything out would cost me about $2500.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'll budget $600 for Gas, I think that's more than the trailer rental... Could be worse though, shipping everything out would cost me about $2500.
Just noticed gas seems to be going back up. Git 'er done soon.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
48 Posts
I'll be towing my ~1,400# camper this weekend, with a cargo box and 2 bikes on my suby roof.

I hope my 2.5CVT will actually pull it....It'll be my first towing experience with my outback.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
J - whats your trailer weight and profile? Thats really the only big thing that impacts the tow car. Though our recent trip 14hrs total had major head winds in the 20's and with a roof rack and box no trailer it knocked our mileage down to 21-23mpg for half the trip. Same trip last year with no head wind we ran about 28mpg pretty amazing what some head winds can do to your fuel average.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
48 Posts
It's an 8ft pop-up. Weight is published at 1,400# i think. Maybe 12" wider on each side of the OB, but a foot lower. For the most part, it's hidden behind the OB.

I'm hoping my swaybar mod helps me out a tad too.

I'm not a fan of my bikes on the roof, acting like sails, but that's the only setup I have right now. I'll fab up a rack for the camper to somewhat hide the bikes from the wind in a week or two.

My trip this weekend is only ~90 miles away, 95% flat driving.

I've had 4 bikes up top, with 4 guys in the car, no trailer, for 1,000 miles into a stiff headwind. = 16-17mpg. ouch. Headwind Kills MPG, esp will stuff on the roof.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
You should have a pretty good experience so far about 1500lbs and under for the trailer the 2.5 and cvt seem to take it all in stride with little stress and the car handles the weight just fine assuming the trailer behaves and is nice and stable.
Do doubt roof gear hits the mileage hard especially with a head wind.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
I'm towing a 6x12 Uhaul this weekend with an 06 Manual. I'll let you know what I average. It'll be through hills, cities, and flat areas. PM if I forget to post it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i get 15-17 mpg towing 2,500 hundred pounds through steep mountain grades. it's a boat and has a significant cross sectional area that's not very aerodynamic. i'm also pushing the cooling capacity towing that in 90+ degrees and high humidity so i'm assuming i'm pushing the limits of the engine/trans...and therefore probably mpg.

i can't imagine getting much lower than the 15mpg i've gotten in the mountains with that monster load.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 CVT Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good input guys. I'll be towing from NJ to AZ so I'll be happy if I it doesn't dip below 15 mpg. I'm hoping 18 mpg avg and I'll be happy. Now if I could convince the wife to get rid of 300 pounds of plates and kitchen stuff....

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Good input guys. I'll be towing from NJ to AZ so I'll be happy if I it doesn't dip below 15 mpg. I'm hoping 18 mpg avg and I'll be happy. Now if I could convince the wife to get rid of 300 pounds of plates and kitchen stuff....
LOL
My camping gear list just gained another few lbs - wife says she's game for some really cool lakes if I can sort out a solution for the no showers problem. These lakes are pit toilet and no showers.

So Sunshower type hanging bag with shower hose etc - and some type of teepee type pvc tent with a kiddie pool base is where the brain storming over beers with the guys has me at the moment. But hey if the wife is cool with it and happy to go and we have a blast on some little out of the way lake its worth it. Just glad I targeted the light end of our camp trailer options given it seems like the camping gear list gets longer and heavier every year. LOL

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 CVT Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL
My camping gear list just gained another few lbs - wife says she's game for some really cool lakes if I can sort out a solution for the no showers problem. These lakes are pit toilet and no showers.

So Sunshower type hanging bag with shower hose etc - and some type of teepee type pvc tent with a kiddie pool base is where the brain storming over beers with the guys has me at the moment. But hey if the wife is cool with it and happy to go and we have a blast on some little out of the way lake its worth it. Just glad I targeted the light end of our camp trailer options given it seems like the camping gear list gets longer and heavier every year. LOL
Sun shower is your best best. That or a 5 gallon water container with a pump.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
MPG is going to have more to do with frontal area and speed than weight. My camper is 7 feet tall and about 1,500 pounds loaded. I have towed my open cargo trailer with the same weight. I get about 23 MPG with the camper and 26 MPG with the cargo trailer.

You should get decent mileage if you can keep your speed down. It's a good idea from a safety standpoint, too.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 CVT Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of speed, what speed should I go at. I was targeting 60-65 on Highway and 45-50 in hills.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts