Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2011 2.5 OB which will eligible for the GTP on Aug. 31, as I bought it on 8/30/11 & I believe they require you to own the vehicle for at least a year. I was told the GTP value would be $20,150 ... which would be great considering I paid $21,500 (+ dest fees/taxes). However, there are currently two significant issues I'm wondering about:

1.) Currently have 23,500 miles & the current quota is set to 15k miles for a 2011. So, I'd be required to pay $.20 per mile overage .... which will be about an additional $2,000 by the time I drive my car to the dealer across the state at the end of the month. Does anyone know when Subaru typically "rolls over" the allocated quotas for any given year? I could easily wait it out another few months if that's all it would take to make gain $2,000.

2.) The other big question is whether dealers normally honor the GTP value provided there are no issues beyond minor wear and tear? Or, do they ding you for every little detail and whittle that original value down quite a bit? I'm concerned since while there is no exterior damage and the interior is in excellent condition, there are little things here and there (i.e. where your house keys would scratch the steering column while in ignition, or the very scratchable trim on the counsel, or a couple faint dime sized stains on the drivers seat, or the dent in the driver's side door where you'd use it as an armrest). The GTP sounds a bit too good to be true and and kind of weary of having to drive 325 miles to a dealer to have it evaluated and be in the same boat as if I drove in with a Toyota looking to trade in and go through the low balling that's typically thrown at consumers by dealers?

If anyone has used the GTP program, I'd sure appreciate your input on how your experience went. Thank you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Used gtp to trade in 11 legacy for 13 outback. I wasn't over the mileage, so I don't know about that. They really didn't even look at the car and said they just ship it off to Subaru. I told them about a chip in the windshield and I had to have it fixed for $30, but I doubt they would have even noticed it if I didn't tell them. I had minor paint damage from the wife repeatedly opening her car door into the legacy in the garage, and they never said anything about it. I think the main thing is no accidents/major damage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
The GTP worked for me. I just traded a 2010 for a 2013. Dealer was about $1000 less on trade in value than the GTP price. Once I pulled out the GTP paperwork he said no problem. Normal wear and tear didn't seem to be a concern. Even a bubble on one sidewall tire and a bent rim both of which he might or might not have noticed. If you are over the mileage it's .20 per mile.
The program has it's sweet spots. Currently the 2012 mileage limit is at 15k, as is a 2011. A 2010 is at 30k. They always keep the latest 2 model years at 15k for both. Right now a 2011 is at the biggest disadvantage. The sweet spot for a 2011 will come around April when it jumps up to 30k. The Subaru site also claims the mileage is udated monthly and posted. This is not what I have seen the past couple of years that I have been monitoring the site.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Used gtp to trade in 11 legacy for 13 outback. I wasn't over the mileage, so I don't know about that. They really didn't even look at the car and said they just ship it off to Subaru. I told them about a chip in the windshield and I had to have it fixed for $30, but I doubt they would have even noticed it if I didn't tell them. I had minor paint damage from the wife repeatedly opening her car door into the legacy in the garage, and they never said anything about it. I think the main thing is no accidents/major damage. Hope this helps.
Same here, 11 Legacy to 13 OB. The GTP was $2k more than a dealer would give me but a month later Subaru dropped it another $1k on the Legacy (I looked up the VIN AFTER trading). I'm glad I traded when I did and paid the mileage penalty vs waiting it out. My guy just did a quick walk by of the car but you could tell he didn't really care since they weren't going to be keeping it at the lot.

·
Registered
'13 BBP SAP 2.5
90 Posts
Does anyone know what happens to your Subaru Gold exteneded warranty if you trade your car back in using GTP? Do you get the money back prorated? for those of you that used GTP, did you plan on using it in 2-3 years so there was no need to buy the 7yr/100k extended?

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
Does anyone know what happens to your Subaru Gold exteneded warranty if you trade your car back in using GTP? Do you get the money back prorated? for those of you that used GTP, did you plan on using it in 2-3 years so there was no need to buy the 7yr/100k extended?
That's exactly right, you get a prorated refund check based on the date of purchase of the car, even if your extended warranty hadn't actually kicked in yet. I used the GTP on my 11 Limited after 1 year of ownership and the refund check was around $200 less than what I paid for the extended warranty.

The reason I purchased the extended warranty is that I had planned to keep the car. Wasn't happy with the 2.5 so I traded it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
That's exactly right, you get a prorated refund check based on the date of purchase of the car, even if your extended warranty hadn't actually kicked in yet. I used the GTP on my 11 Limited after 1 year of ownership and the refund check was around $200 less than what I paid for the extended warranty.

The reason I purchased the extended warranty is that I had planned to keep the car. Wasn't happy with the 2.5 so I traded it.
Yep this part of it sucked. When I bought the current car I told the finance manager that I lost about $300 on the pro ration so give me one good reason to buy today vs before 36k in case I don't keep it? He had no response but he asked me to listen to his presentation so he could do his job. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sounds as if it's a relatively good program as far as not whittling down from the quoted trade in price ... provided there's nothing major / glaring.

mpnret: sounds like you may have been following the turn over date on the milage quotas. If it is in fact April, then you're correct about the 2011's being at a disadvantage. Was kind of hoping the reset date would be coming up soon within a couple months ... which would actually have put me in a very sweet spot. Still checking on this (turnover datte) from my dealer and SOA ... just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
I called about our 2012 Outback Limited purchased in April and was quoted $24,400. Thought that was really low compared to others here.
If this is true, then i don't really see the fabulous resale value of the Subaru. :( In less than half a year, the car depreciated $4-5k (more or less). So, in one year's time frame, the car will probably depreciate at least $8-10k, which is about average with everyone else in trade-in value.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
If this is true, then i don't really see the fabulous resale value of the Subaru. :( In less than half a year, the car depreciated $4-5k (more or less). So, in one year's time frame, the car will probably depreciate at least $8-10k, which is about average with everyone else in trade-in value.
That was only a single quote, I wouldn't worry about it.

The OB has excellent resale value. Had mine for 18 months, and it really only cost me $1500 or so (purchase price vs. trade in).

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
My 2010 GTP was about 10K less than purchase after 3 years and 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That was only a single quote, I wouldn't worry about it.

The OB has excellent resale value. Had mine for 18 months, and it really only cost me $1500 or so (purchase price vs. trade in).
I guess I assumed the quotes would be the same for anyone with an identical vehicle. Is that incorrect?

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
I guess I assumed the quotes would be the same for anyone with an identical vehicle. Is that incorrect?
Who gave you that quote?

But, yes, I presume you'd be correct if that is an official GTP quote. Even though it's the title of the thread, I forgot we were talking GTP. :p Just remember, though, like any blind "bid" on a car, they have their downside risk priced into their quote. You might be able to get quite a bit more outside the program.

While I had many complaints about my OB, the excellent resale value helped make up for many of them by the time I was ready to move on.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5 w/ moon light
52 Posts
I think so for GTP. However, your quote cannot be GTP because vehicles become eligible for GTP only after one year from sale. That must be the dealer's trade-in quote.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Whew...good to hear. However, with the way i am driving, there is no way for me to stay under 15k per year. Oh well, more reason to keep my '12 OB for a long time! :)

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I called the Subaru 1-800 number and they gave me the quote. I think the 12 month restriction is only on receiving a quote on the website.
Ok...back to my rant...THAT SUCKS! That "value" quote is no better than going to CarMax and selling it...and no better than a Yugo! (exaggeration)

·
Registered
982 Posts
I called the Subaru 1-800 number and they gave me the quote. I think the 12 month restriction is only on receiving a quote on the website.
Be careful though as the eligibility of the program states one year ownership. But if you want to buy a new one I bet they'll let you.

Yeah it stinks, off of MSRP I lost over $6k. However I don't think the programs strength is really meant for trading in a year or two later. The program gets a lot stronger for those whose cars are a little older and within the mileage requirements.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts