Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Engine and 2019 Outback 3.6 Engine
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing that many makes have recently experienced exploding sunroofs. Has anyone had their sunroof explode on 5 generation Outback?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,800 Posts
Is that a bonus feature like needing an exploding sunroof to ejection seat the wife? I can see the value in that.

·
Registered
Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
360 Posts
My guess is no due to the OB’s smaller (normal) size. Consumer reports indicates this problem is across all manufacturers and is due to larger panoramic moonroof and thinner glass. I have seen a few complaints over on the Nissan Murano board about this, and they have the big glass.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,240 Posts
I have always had sunroof and never had a blowout.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
3rd generation Outback had a much larger sunroof than the current model, and no unusual trouble with glass breaking.

It doesn't sound like the current model is having any trouble either.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
891 Posts
I think North Korea has 100,000 of them on the border to release towards our allies if needed!:surprise: Its horrible just thinking of it!!!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
731 Posts
I never had a sun roof seal well enough to blow out. ;-)

·
Read Only
451 Posts
I would think they would be made of the same material a windshield is made of. I never saw a windshield exploding.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I would think they would be made of the same material a windshield is made of. I never saw a windshield exploding.
Windshields (in the usa) are laminated layers of glass and stretchy plastic. All the other windows are tempered (heat-treated) glass. Tempered windows are designed to "explode" into tiny, low-mass blunt cubes, while the laminated windshield tries to entrap all the sharp bits in the plastic layers and remain in as few pieces as possible.

You can get tempered glass to blow out with just the right conditions of temperature and mechanical stress.

Subaru sunroofs have a very slack fit, so they are very tolerant to the body flexing and the mechanism opening and closing. They are not totally rainproof as a result- they are designed to leak a small amount, and they have an internal gutter & drainspout system to deal with this. The net result is 100% rainproof as long as you keep the drain clean.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R WGM
151 Posts
I never had a sun roof seal well enough to blow out. ;-)
Ahhh, previous Jeep owner, eh?

Subaru sunroofs have a very slack fit, so they are very tolerant to the body flexing and the mechanism opening and closing. They are not totally rainproof as a result- they are designed to leak a small amount, and they have an internal gutter & drainspout system to deal with this. The net result is 100% rainproof as long as you keep the drain clean.
How do you keep those drains clean?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Outback Limited, CVT, Nav, Eyesight and the rest of the safety stuff.
171 Posts
There is an article in the current issue of Consumer Reports, but Subaru is NOT called out in the article.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
I had the sunroof on my 2015 Legacy 3.6R blow outwards last Xmas week when coming home from skiing. Sounded like a bomb went off. They replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,069 Posts
The big issue I've heard off causing sunroofs to blow is these newer car washes with the high velocity wind dryers toasting sunroofs!

·
Registered
2016 Outback LTD w/ Nav & Eyesight 2.5l Venetian Red
44 Posts
Mine as well, last Thursday. Fortunately the sunshade was closed so no glass in the car. It did sound like a bomb went off as others have said. Called the dealer ans was told no coverage.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts