Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the rising Canadian dollar, it looks like I can get a better deal on a US XT, and I'd be able to get one without leather, unlike Canada. Has anyone else successfully imported a vehicle to Canada? I realize that I'll have to pay Cdn. taxes, etc. but have the following questions:

1) Would I also have to pay a state tax?

2) Can a dealership sell a car to a non US resident?

Any input appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey JRI,

We're very close to you... I'll ask today how we would go about selling a car to a Canadian resident. Call me with any questions. 1-800-724-8872.

Karl

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help folks. This is starting to look like a real option! With Karl's help, and after researching www.riv.ca, Canada Customs, and US Customs, it looks like a fairly straightforward process.

I have to wait a little while before I buy, but if anybody else is interested in this, I recommend you call Karl at Van Bortel.

JRI.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey fellow canuck

Importing a car into Canada isn't that much of a big deal provided:

1. The car was built or approved for sale in the U.S. by the DOT (my Suby was built in Indiana)
2. The car isn't an insurance write-off (here in Quebec we call them a VGA or véhicle gravement accidenté).
3. You pay a levy (I think it is around $110) for air-conditioning. Bloody Govt. Enough said.
4. The car needs to be retro fitted with Biligual safety stickers (airbag warnings, sun visor warning etc.). This is pretty cheap < $100
5. Change the speedo to read in km/h instead of mp/h or you'll have speeding tickets my friend.
6. You'll have to pay provincial PST on the car at the market value as per the govt. list not what you paid for it. Many "friends" sell their cars for a dollar.

Many canadians are looking to buy down south now because of our (chest beating) more solidly diversified economy. Sorry to my U.S. friends. I've got a good deal on water!!

Daniel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Daniel S
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing