Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was charged a $17.99 "MOA Extended Life" charge when she took the 2019 Outback 4-cyl for the 6,000 mile service, it's first service. The dealer tried to charge all kinds of ridiculous stuff at first, so I asked her to specify oil change, tire rotation, air filter check only. They did the oil change and tire rotation. The cabin and engine air filters will need to be replaced NEXT time. Good. But, the bill was $110.36. This is nearly double my Toyota Tacoma V6. $60 for labor. Fine.

But, what is this $17.99 MOA Extended Life charge? The dealer told my wife it is an oil additive.

Is this charge legit? If it may be, is it necessary to use this additive when getting an oil change?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,962 Posts
My wife was charged a $17.99 "MOA Extended Life" charge when she took the 2019 Outback 4-cyl for the 6,000 mile service, it's first service. The dealer tried to charge all kinds of ridiculous stuff at first, so I asked her to specify oil change, tire rotation, air filter check only. They did the oil change and tire rotation. The cabin and engine air filters will need to be replaced NEXT time. Good. But, the bill was $110.36. This is nearly double my Toyota Tacoma V6. $60 for labor. Fine.

But, what is this $17.99 MOA Extended Life charge? The dealer told my wife it is an oil additive.

Is this charge legit? If it may be, is it necessary to use this additive when getting an oil change?

MOA - Motor Oil Additive

They are 100% completely unneccessary and are a worthless dealer add-on to inflate their importance to you via your wallet. Stated another way, why would the dealer put new oil in your car that doesn't protect it without an additiive?

There is nothing in a MOA can that improves a quality synthetic motor oil over what comes in the oil bottle or jug itself. It's shamless fleecing.

No car needs that stuff and if anything, it might even counteract some of the oil chemistry. There is no possible way for a MOA producer to test compatibility of their product with every oil that's available to a consumer. Not possible and not being done. Oil formulas change all the time and their specs too.

Edit:

BTW - Welcome! There are good brains and good people here. On a side note, if a moderator makes you feel uncomfortable, show us on the doll where it happened. We'll take it from there.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 2.5
159 Posts

Ddi they throw in 50 feet of garden HOSE too!!! I would tell he dealer to adjust the bill and get advance notice of the expected services fees

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I bought some Genuine Subaru filters off ebay, I go to Firestone, hand them the filter and say change the oil. I get free rotation and balance cause I bought my tires there. Around here they charge about $55 for full synthetic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts