Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not going to purchase an extended warranty on my 2016 Outback and 2016 Legacy but I have had so many minor issues crop up I ended up buying a 7 year/100,000 mile, no deductible one. Thanks to those on here who recommended Luke Corcione at Stamford Subaru [email protected] Financial Services Manager
Main: 203-252-2222 Fax: 203-252-2139.

Very easy to deal with, a very good price without haggling and a very pleasant experience overall. Nice to have some piece of mind considering all the electronics in these cars. Have also had a continuing problem with the rear lift gate on the Outback.

Question about brake lines. Has anyone needed to have theirs replaced for some reason? I took my 2016 Legacy with 27,000 miles in because there was leakage around the master cylinder connections. My local dealership told me all the brake lines needed to be replaced and they kept it for a week while they ordered and installed them.

I haven't picked it up yet so Ihaven't heard their explanation.

Thanks for any replies.

Francis

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
It would be incredibly rare to have happen, even in your scenario. Not entirely sure why a master cylinder leak would cause all the brake lines to need replacing but not items like the ABS module, calipers, or any of the hard lines as well. Let us know what the explanation is and where the leak was coming from originally.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Unless you have *compelling reason* otherwise, all of those did not fail and it's very possible none of those parts failed. They didn't actually diagnose the failure mode so it would be a stretch to assume anything failed here based on the current "data".

It's just a box holding fluid with metal lines threaded into it, that's it. Not much to it really. They saw fluid on the MC, maybe it was blown everywhere by now and hard to track, and metal lines were wet that thread into the MC and just replaced all of it rather than spend hours diagnosing exactly what and why it was leaking and then running the risk of guessing wrong or deciding if threads failed or if failed threads then compromised other threads or would be during removal...etc.

simpler to just replace it all and that's what they did.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,855 Posts
On a 2016, I cannot imagine a need to replace the steel brake-lines unless there was some sort of manufacturing defect from the factory.

Brake-lines should be very reliable for many MANY years.... after about 10-12 salt-laden winters, the steel brake-lines may rust through and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife took the call from service and something got lost in the translation. Only two brake lines needed to be replaced.

When I went in to pick it up I asked why this would occur. Service stated that two of the brake lines were "cracked" near the firewall. They said they had never seen it happen before and had no explanation for how it occurred. The person who actually worked on it was unavailable for me to talk to.

I found it odd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.