Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
We are planning to purchase our first new car ever ( outback) soon and I wonder if you could share your opinion or extended warranty.

1: is it worth to get? Thinking of 7 years/100K option
2: when should I get it if yes?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Hello All
We are planning to purchase our first new car ever ( outback) soon and I wonder if you could share your opinion or extended warranty.

1: is it worth to get? Thinking of 7 years/100K option
2: when should I get it if yes?

Thank you so much!
There's quite an extended discussion on this to be found here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...5105-gold-plus-extended-warranty-2016-ob.html

Whether it's worth it is purely up to how much you value peace of mind. Subaru makes money on warranty, it doesn't lose it. So on average, repairs cost less than the warranty, but peace of mind is worth something as well. In terms of timing, my opinion is that it's not worthwhile worrying about it until near the end of the factory 3-year warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's quite an extended discussion on this to be found here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...5105-gold-plus-extended-warranty-2016-ob.html

Whether it's worth it is purely up to how much you value peace of mind. Subaru makes money on warranty, it doesn't lose it. So on average, repairs cost less than the warranty, but peace of mind is worth something as well. In terms of timing, my opinion is that it's not worthwhile worrying about it until near the end of the factory 3-year warranty.
Thank you very much! Dealer says we would get a better deal if we purchase it when we get the car but I guess it is sales speech. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Depending upon what state you live in you will most likely get your best deal purchasing it online from one of the dealers offering them at a discount.

You don't have to decide until the factory bumper to bumper warranty expires. Gives you a fair amount of time to decide if you want it.

You most likely won't need it BUT if you have electrical gremlins or a CVT failure you will be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
First don't pay full price that is generally quoted by the finance guy. Often they will come close to what you can get it online. As stated they are money makers for the dealership. But so is life insurance. You bet you will die before it's term, they bet you won't. I think one advantage of buying when new is tires are covered. May be some other items but it seems most wait until factory warranty expires. FWIW I bought it. Lots of expensive systems on the OB. Also hope I don't need to use but it's there if I do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advise! I will try to negotiate hard with the finance guy. If th price sounds about right, we may consider it. Otherwise, we will wait.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Oh hey, it's this thread again.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
19 Posts
I bought the extended warranty and maintenance plan. It was my first new car and I wanted it protected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would not buy something that needs an extended warranty. My 2002 will be my one and only. It sad whats being put on the road

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Blue Outback in Premium trim
35 Posts
I just confronted that decision. I’ve never purchased one before, and I didn’t this time. I figure I’ll keep the car 3-5 years, and most things will be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
2016 OB and a 2017 OB
79 Posts
I would not buy something that needs an extended warranty. My 2002 will be my one and only. It sad whats being put on the road

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Your not buying something that needs an extra warranty, your buying a machine that is far more advance then your 2002 and more things can go wrong with it and when they do, you would be very happy that you spent the money. It's insurance plain and simple, no one wants to buy insurance, but we all do and when something happens we're glad we had it.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,861 Posts
I posted this in another thread about warranties...

There are two correct ways to approach extended warranties: (1) ALWAYS buy an extended warranty for every car you buy, or (2) NEVER buy an extended warranty for any car you buy. I totally understand why a person would choose the first way. You reduce the risk of paying for large repairs, and that is solid logic.

However, there are others (like me) who do the second way. I am fully aware that my transmission might go out and cost me $7k to repair. That would suck, but I have saved for it by NOT buying an extended warranty for any car (or any other expensive product) I have ever bought. I am at least $15k ahead on emergency savings at this point due to never buying extended warranties. Further, that $15k has made additional money for me via investments and business ventures. This has worked for me and my lifestyle, but I fully understand how others would not be able to stomach the way I do things.

If you accept my analysis here, then making the decision to buy an extended warranty is easy: ALWAYS buy one or NEVER buy one. By the way, a third (and incorrect) way to approach extended warranties is to sometimes buy a warranty for some new cars and not other new cars. If you do that, then you neither maximize on your emergency savings fund nor maximize on risk reduction.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I posted this another thread about warranties...

There are two correct ways to approach extended warranties: (1) ALWAYS buy an extended warranty for every car you buy, or (2) NEVER buy an extended warranty for any car you buy. I totally understand why a person would choose the first way. You reduce the risk of paying for large repairs, and that is solid logic.

However, there are others (like me) who do the second way. I am fully aware that my tranny might go out and cost me $7k to repair. That would suck, but I have saved for it by NOT buying an extended warranty for any car (or any other expensive product) I have ever bought. I am at least $15k ahead on emergency savings at this point due to never buying extended warranties. Further, that $15k has made additional money for me via investments and business ventures. This has worked for me and my lifestyle, but I fully understand how others would not be able to stomach the way I do things.

If you accept my analysis here, then making the decision to buy an extended warranty is easy: ALWAYS buy one or NEVER buy one. By the way, a third (and incorrect) way to approach extended warranties is to sometimes buy a warranty for some new cars and not other new cars. If you do that, then you neither maximize on your emergency savings fund nor maximize on risk reduction.
I like my option. New daily driver every 3 years so always under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a certified pre owned 2019 Outback with 500 miles this week. It has a 7 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I don’t really expect to need that.

But I did spring for the same term for bumper to bumper. I managed to get them down $277 in price which made it easier to do. The main reason I did it is because of all the electronics and technology. My last car was a 2017 Honda Civic and it wasn’t nearly as advanced, but there was always something going wrong with proximity locks, the head unit, tire pressure monitoring, electronic parking brake... yuck.

Most was covered by warranty, which was awesome. But if I hadn’t had a warranty, I’d have been so pissed. Hondas have pretty good reputations and I was not pleased with those problems. But Honda hasn’t been a tech company for long and neither has Subaru. So I bought it for that stuff alone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts