Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 LLBean
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo, trying to figure out what's caused these marks on my 2006 H6 and the best way to repair them. Talked to someone at autozone and they think its mold or rust on the metal underneath the rubberized coating. I looked all throughout the Haynes user manual and couldn't find what this piece is called for the life of me. Anyone know what the part is called or any ideas on how to repair it? I've already tried cleaning it with a wide array of solvents but didn't want to get too abrasive since it has a softer rubberized coating. I'm tempted to just take the entire trim piece off and re-paint it but matching the black might be a bit annoying. Thank you!

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
If it's not bubbling up, I'd say it's probably deterioration of the rubberized coating from the sun. I think painting would be best, but I think I'd just rough them up a bit, clean them with a light solvent, and spray them in place. Just mask all with painter's tape and newspaper. Someone might recommend Plasti Dip, but I've never used.

Reactions: MatthewG

Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 LLBean
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's not bubbling up, I'd say it's probably deterioration of the rubberized coating from the sun. I think painting would be best, but I think I'd just rough them up a bit, clean them with a light solvent, and spray them in place. Just mask all with painter's tape and newspaper. Someone might recommend Plasti Dip, but I've never used.
I was considering plastidip since I wouldn't need to remove the entire trim piece since it will just peel off the parts I don't want it on and its pretty durable and easy to patch. Only problem is it's a thicker matt black rubberized coating so I would probably end up doing all my trim pieces to make it match. Thank you!

Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
That is not rust, the reason why I know that. Because I covered mine over with vinyl reflective tape. Vinyl Tape does not rust. I see the same markings on the outside of my vinyl reflective tape. I tried to clean it, it is still there. I think it is worn marks.

Attachments

Registered
2008 H4SO 4AT 244000km in Frontenac, Ontario, Canada
I reviewed the Subaru Factory Service Manual to see what that piece is called and how it is assembled. Alas, I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual. 馃悪

If it isn't corrosion, perhaps it is something that is growing on the car. Which reminds me of this video of a very dirty Forester getting a thorough cleaning. 馃

Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback

Banned
I was considering plastidip since I wouldn't need to remove the entire trim piece since it will just peel off the parts I don't want it on and its pretty durable and easy to patch. Only problem is it's a thicker matt black rubberized coating so I would probably end up doing all my trim pieces to make it match. Thank you!
There's a plastidip glossifier if you want to add some shine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts