Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time post here.
Would anyone know if it's possible to service a new 2018 2.5i Outback every 12 mths instead of the extortionist 6 mth :surprise:(keep our OZ dealers happy) interval without voiding the warranty?
I'll be expecting to travel less than 10K (country) km's yearly.

Cheers
Marc

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Why would you want to lose your warranty by not servicing per the owner's manual?

You don't have to use the dealer for service. Independent shops are usually less expensive or you can do it yourself. Just document what you did and retain the receipts.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My OCI recommended by Subaru is 7,500 miles, or 12,000 KM. If I was only putting on 10,000KM per year, I probably would only change the oil once per year, and not pay attention to the "or every 6 months" par of the Subaru recommendation.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
FYI I believe OZ/NZ laws regarding service, maintenance and warranties are significantly different than in the US, i.e. it might be necessary to get the dealer to sign off on frequent service in order to maintain the warranty.

The Subaru certainly doesn't need service every 6 months under normal driving. Just change the oil and other misc as needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mr Darcy

I think 'Extortionist' in the title is all the explanation you need, has anyone read the service booklet? Seems Subaru's only need 6 monthly servicing in Australia, everywhere else in the world is 12 months.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
I think 'Extortionist' in the title is all the explanation you need, has anyone read the service booklet? Seems Subaru's only need 6 monthly servicing in Australia, everywhere else in the world is 12 months.
here is the US spec's current listing (2019 US / Canada spec = 2018 in the rest of the world)

also 6 months.,...and complained/ discussed and opined in other areas of this forum.

2019 Outback specs, options, colors, prices, photos, and more

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,539 Posts
FYI I believe OZ/NZ laws regarding service, maintenance and warranties are significantly different than in the US, i.e. it might be necessary to get the dealer to sign off on frequent service in order to maintain the warranty.

The Subaru certainly doesn't need service every 6 months under normal driving. Just change the oil and other misc as needed.
Australian consumer law allows any vehicle to be serviced by a suitably qualified person without voiding the warranty.

Suitably qualified typically means anyone certified by the “Motor Traders Association” or similar (in other words a qualified mechanic not a “do it yourselfer”)

Dealers can certainly put pressure on owners to use their services but in the end you can just ignore them.

However, if you end up wanting to make an “out of warranty claim” and you have not used the dealers service centre this can leave you with little recourse.

On the other hand, if you exclusively use the dealers service centre, out of warranty claims are often honoured
(even though sometimes the dealer may need a little gentle persuasion).

Seagrass

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Why would you want to lose your warranty by not servicing per the owner's manual?

You don't have to use the dealer for service. Independent shops are usually less expensive or you can do it yourself. Just document what you did and retain the receipts.
what he said - make sure you're following the owners manual or Subarus Recommended Maintenance intervals (cars101.com) and not the service advisors or local dealers "service packages" - do not buy those they are marketing driven services, not maintenance driven. "6 month service package" at the dealer and "6 month maintenance intervals" buy Subaru's maintenance (i.e. warranty) schedule sound like they should be the same thing, but they are not. you only need to do what's on the required maintenance intervals, that's it.

·
Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
595 Posts
Pretty sure the oil change and tire rotation are the only required 6-month/6K mile service.

Reactions: Sparkland
1 - 9 of 9 Posts