Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so main question here is what people put on 2nd gen bumpers or grills or roof racks , how they mount that and how it looks. and what about those small new led bars. 18-24w ? like are they enough if used as extra light or they wont add nothing.
pics would be great and info if someone tried on this gen and how it worked.
and maybe its better use not led but HID

those would be classic looks . but as my bumper cut they would be higher . still its option.

what i cant find is pics of led bars on sides or under bumper ...on other cars sure , but not so much on those obw.
my idea was to have secret led bar maybe inside grill like under grill . anyone tried that? , how much light is lost there and such

newer gens do leds more

then is this best and right and safe way to connect led bars ?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so im thinking of something like that

and i would put something that i could find localy

found video about similar leds that my online shops sells here
those 18 w are not that bad too i guess

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,150 Posts
First off, that is exactly the correct way to wire any auxiliary lights. Preferrably a good waterproof relay mounted underhood, with as little wiring between the battery, it, and the lights as possible.

I have this light bar hanging on the wall of our garage that I planned to mount on the front of our Outback. https://www.auxbeam.com/70018661

I've hooked power to it, and shined it down the driveway, and I'm very impressed with the amount of light it sends out, and the beam pattern. The Spot chips cast light far down the road, and the flood chips on the side light up off to the side of the road very well.

I have a pair of 18W flood light pods from them on my lawn tractor (need light for snow blowing), and I'm very impressed with them!

The problem I'm having on our Outback, I was planning to just cut the bumper cover and bolt it basically right to the beam, in front of the grill. But I'm concerned it will block access to the hood release. It will require some test fitting to get it mounted, probably so a person can reach under it to open the hood. It was about this time that I refinished the headlight lenses, and retrofitted LED bulbs into them, and since then I haven't really felt the need to use it.

I won't mount any lights under the bumper line on my cars, as I have broken lenses even on relatively soft snow drifts.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
512 Posts
I bolted a 30" Opt7 LED light bar to the front of my roof rack, by way of a pair of light mounts made by the rack maker, Surco. That thing lights up the night road for a LONG ways... It has probably saved me from at least half a dozen nocturnal deer strikes, this past summer.

Attachments

Reactions: ecbaatz

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about that led bar on roof rack does it allowed?. Like legally. Or it must be covered when not used .im planning making roof rack later too.

And that bar from link is cheap. Wow. 2x 18w led bars would cost more then that 120w beast. But i guess you cannot use it on road against other cars do you?
I wish something that would add to my low beam and would be ok to use on roads. Like instead of fog lights. As i no have fog lights anymore i could connect something in that place. And then something extra for bush.
And something extra for backup light. Anyone use extra bars / lights on rear for backup? Would think 18w for backup would be too much, or if use just one light in center to light up all rear view.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Legality varies a little bit, and is usually not enforced unless they're trying to throw the book at you. In Minnesota, anything on the roof is supposed to be covered while run on the street. Many of the nicer companies make nice snap-on covers for those bars for that exact reason, I have translucent amber filters for mine for use in the snow.

Pretty safe bet that anything like that will not have safe optics for using on the road with other vehicles around. Stock headlights have very specific optical characteristics to keep the light on the road, and out of the eyes of the driver's ahead of you.

Here's the stock Outback headlight optics from down my driveway. Nothing we're talking about here will have that kind of cutoff.
20170106_194211
by Numbchux, on Flickr

I should take a similar picture with the 18w flood lights from my lawn tractor/snow blower...

I'd highly recommend restoring the stock lenses. It made an enormous difference, even with the same old bulbs. Here's the before and after:
2017-07-03_01-55-16
by Numbchux, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohh i did similar restoration to mine lenses too. and i do that after some time again. and then i put Osram Night Braker Laser H7 in low beams. it became little better but in wet road its still terrible. but that's for most cars i guess. or for snow. as you said some amber filters would be cool too on led bars i think.
Osram Night Braker Laser top vs high beam

need better backup light too

found some people selling some led bars and between other i saw those
48W - 15€, 3800 - Lm

they where just 15 euro for one. when other places and shops sells very similar or same ones for like 25-35 for one. yes they will be some chinese no name maker made but they most are so i could try for that price is no brainer.
and they put it on tractor .. lol

another tractor lighting the night

i would be like tractor ****.... what if i put them under front grill

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
ohh i did similar restoration to mine lenses too. and i do that after some time again. and then i put Osram Night Braker Laser H7 in low beams. it became little better but in wet road its still terrible. but that's for most cars i guess. or for snow. as you said some amber filters would be cool too on led bars i think.
Osram Night Braker Laser top vs high beam
l
get off photobucket. = photo suck it. and their no free, 3rd party site linking crap.

imgur, or anywhere else is better and FREE.

Reactions: ecbaatz

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cant . my home network did something and now my laptop which allways worked doesn't show imgur anything. its like its blocked or smt. but other devices works fine from same router. this BS. now with my laptop i dont see single picture from anyone anywhere in any browser . even if i post images from imgur from phone then i cant see them on laptop.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
512 Posts
How about that led bar on roof rack does it allowed?. Like legally. Or it must be covered when not used
In the USA, it varies from state to state; different US States have different laws governing things like front-facing lights. Where I live, the only restriction is that the vehicle is limited to not more than eight (8) forward-facing light fixtures capable of generating enough light to illuminate the roadway ahead, and that the primary headlamps be aimed in such a way that they do not bllind oncoming drivers or create a driving hazard for others. In other States, auxiliary lamps must be covered when not in use, but there is no such rule where I live.

I had a County Sheriff take a look at my light bar at a rural fueling station in the Middle of Nowhere in northern Michigan once, and all he said about it was, "I bet you don't have any trouble with Bambi, do you?" I told him, "No sir; that's what that thing is up there for." (we have a *HUGE* problem here with deer strikes on rural roads after dark.)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Putting extra lights under or instead of grill is another great idea i think as long as it not blocks that coming air too much
Looks great

And maybe out grill is not best for that but we can cut some parts of it or maybe even find right size of led bar that fits between bars

Would be interesting to test how much light would block this grill if light is under it

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I think the challenge with that is mounting. Since the grill is mounted to the hood, and the hinge assembly is behind it (on every other Subaru, the grill is mounted to the radiator support, and the hinge is further back and higher).

Not that it couldn't be done, but it complicates things considerably...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well if its thin it could be mounted there more back to radiator.

like smaller 18w ones are 40mm thin

116mm * 135 mm * 40 mm

then more powerfull 27w goes 55mm , and 48w is huge 72mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts