Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,540 Posts
Update:

Just got a phone call from the dealer and was told the aftermarket catalytic converter was clogged causing the horrible hesitation. They had to drive the vehicle with the scanner and used a temp gun and was told it was 300 degrees hotter than it should have been. It just so happened that a recall was issued for the exhaust manifold cracking on 2015-2016 Outback's and Legacy's however they didn't want to cover it at first because I had already replaced my cracked manifold with an aftermarket one. Subaru agreed to cover the clogged aftermarket manifold with a factory one as long as they could have the aftermarket one to send back to Subaru??? I agreed but questioning why they want the manifold, I hope it is to contact Walker because that's what I wanted to do. For future reference do not buy the Walker aftermarket manifold the first one I had cracked and the second one clogged after 8-9k miles.
to be honest I do not trust any aftermarket emissions manufacturer...I would buy used OEM before I went aftermarket. most of them put barely enough catalyst in to pass federal...and they all tell you this as seen here. some offer a whimsy 25K warranty

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,093 Posts
to be honest I do not trust any aftermarket emissions manufacturer...I would buy used OEM before I went aftermarket. most of them put barely enough catalyst in to pass federal...and they all tell you this as seen here. some offer a whimsy 25K warranty
Used OEM catalytic converters are fetching 1k+ at scrap prices.

A new OEM set of cats for the 3.6 can get close to the value of the entire vehicle.

I would guess that's why they wanted the other cat is to recoup some costs from the repair.

At those price differences I wouldn't blame someone for putting in an aftermarket catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,540 Posts
^ and i am not a shop and I am not going to pay $4K for OEM CATs either.for a 12 year old car with CARB compliant emissions when I can get them from another 3.6R fully functional for much much much less... I will however accept your money to do the job right with new parts... :)

and since you want to talk about EPA (Government) they cannot even make laws that make sense,,, for if they did they would know that a used cat in the same model of car will work just fine as long as it is not damaged. install, no more P0420? sweet jerb complete

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
771 Posts
I had good results with a Magnaflow cat when the original got plugged enough to kill upper rpms even though the car still drove OK around town and exhaust shop didn't think back pressure was excessive at the O2 sensor (not Subaru, BMW M3). It brought back the happy part of the rpm range and sounded great.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts