Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A. When does the sound happen?

_x When engine is running
_o When transmission is in some particular gear
_x On throttle
At start up and when gassing it gets louder but once in like 2nd/3rd gear if I release the gas and coast the sound diminishes a lot to about the same as idle or a little quieter, also when in neutral from start up I just noticed if i gas it quietes down a tiny bit

B. Where does the sound come from?

_x Front
Seems like all the noise is coming from the engine compartment. It also doesnt really sound like metal on metal or like the engine knocking but possibly exhaust but im not totally sure.

C. Does the sound vary with some condition?

_ xEngine/transmission rpm dependent
Like explained in question 1 it happens immediately at start up and when gassing.

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?

No, I dont believe so though I've always had a slight vibration at higher speeds 65+ or so

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?
It doesn't seem to affect drive-ability at all except for maybe a small loss of power but that could just be because of me not gassing like normal cause of fear of hurting my car and cause the noise is pretty freaky itself.

It's a 2000 Legacy Outback at a little above 200,000 miles, automatic transmission. Drove and seamed flawless before this happened.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,763 Posts
is it a 'whooshing' noise?

look at the intake filter box - it may not be seated in its tabs/slots at the bottom.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Check air intake tract and air filter box.
Inspect exhaust for loose heat shields and/or failed gaskets and/or new and surprising rust holes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Filter box and air intake tract all seem fine though I could prob use a new filter. I'll get under the car sometime this evening and check the exhaust. I feel like the sound might mostly be coming from the driver side. I haven't really been driving the car at all, would rather take care of the problem and avoid any possible serious issues that could occur but am wondering if its probably safe to drive or not? I guess that would obviously be hard to say without knowing the problem. With that code could could the sound be because of that vent being stuck open or closed though I also know that's on the passenger side and not the driver but sound carry over could be easily mistaken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts