Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new 2017 Outback 3.6. In recent heat wave, got a message that just said "Eye Sight" and all the electronic driving aids lit up like a Xmas tree. Was told the cause was the "ambient air temperature gauge" exceeding 111 degrees. When it cooled, all was OK. Dealer said this is a common problem with the 3.6 model and Subaru is looking for a software fix. Since this is a 2017 model, I can't believe it hasn't occurred in many other 3.6's over the past year. Is it a "new" problem or am I just getting the run-around?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,548 Posts
Is it a "new" problem or am I just getting the run-around?
Neither. It's even in the EyeSight Owners Manual.

Hint: It's not an "eye sight failure," it's an as-programmed "Temporary Stop."

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
It takes a fair but of computer power to do vision tasks like this: I'm hoping they've improved computer cooling in 2018s (picked mine up last night!) because I find it unlikely a software fix resolves what's likely a heat-related issue: the only "Software" fix would require speeding up cooling fans (if that exists, which I'd be surprised) or running the CPU less, perhaps with much more efficient code, or sampling less often, and perhaps sending hardware into sleeping state as much as possible.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
I think the software update would be how it handles shutting off. From what I recall in the manual it does shutdown with heat just not so dramatically.

·
Registered
2016 Twi-Blue/Ivory OB 3.6R
238 Posts
Our 3.6 ran into the same problem during an hour long traffic delay in hot weather. Eyesight was non-functioning until we gassed up. Then all back to normal. No problems in the last several thousand miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently the Eye Sight system shuts off when ANYTHING happens that COULD impact the "safety enhancement"/"take control away from the driver" systems. Mine was a speed sensor on the right rear wheel - COULD affect the lane control/follow control/ABS/what the F***ever, so Eye Sight shut down, all the warning lights EXCEPT "check engine" came on, and the car became sluggish in steering, sluggish in traction, sluggish in braking. PLEASE MAKE ALL THIS NONSENSE OPTIONAL, SO THAT DRIVERS WHO ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION DON'T CONTINUE TO BE PENALIZED. I own a 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited, and it's my last Subaru after a previously happy 30 years of Subaru business.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,822 Posts
Apparently the Eye Sight system shuts off when ANYTHING happens that COULD impact the "safety enhancement"/"take control away from the driver" systems. Mine was a speed sensor on the right rear wheel - COULD affect the lane control/follow control/ABS/what the F***ever, so Eye Sight shut down, all the warning lights EXCEPT "check engine" came on, and the car became sluggish in steering, sluggish in traction, sluggish in braking. PLEASE MAKE ALL THIS NONSENSE OPTIONAL, SO THAT DRIVERS WHO ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION DON'T CONTINUE TO BE PENALIZED. I own a 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited, and it's my last Subaru after a previously happy 30 years of Subaru business.
Stinks but limp mode due to a bad speed sensor is nothing new, probably goes back decades, and it's most definitely not unique to Subaru.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts