Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having issues with this system? Would like to hear how you either like or do not like the technology.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
"Advanced Search" (keywords in the Title only) is a great help in finding topics that have been discussed before. There's a long thread here that will probably answer your questions -- http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/46784-eyesight-reviews.html
Yes, and try:

eyesight site:domainname.com in your search engine of choice.

I have EyeSight because my wife wanted it. I was only going to get a Premium with winter mats. Once again, my wife wins with the better idea. I like all of the upgraded interior, premium sound, sun roof, and what the loaded car offers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got my 2013 2.5 Limited w/Eyesight for about a week now. On two occasions, it beeped at me while I was still in the lane. Not too sure what caused the false alarm...

One test that I tried a few times (and it works) was to approach a car that was at a red light and wait till the very last second (and I mean till the very last second) and the eyesight started beeping like mad. If it was a split second more, I'm sure the car would of stopped by itself, but at that point, it was too close for comfort, so I braked very hard and fast.

The lane departure, test was simple. Just change lanes without signaling and the eyesight will beep at you. As for the lane swaying aka falling asleep, I haven't rolled it back and forth to simulate it yet.

-kelly

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
On two occasions, it beeped at me while I was still in the lane. Not too sure what caused the false alarm...
Sometimes there is a long crack in the road that is sealed with tar and the EyeSight System mistakes this for the same thing as a white solid line. When this occurs and the beeping sounds and you're in the center of the lane, look for something that imitates a solid line (giving a false signal).

·
Registered
2014 OB Ltd 3.6R
11 Posts
All of the beeping drives me NUTS! I LOVE the system for what it does, but I HATE all the **** beeping. When using cruise control, the system beeps when it loses or regains a target. Why? The system has a panic attack if I move toward the center line to get around a car parked too far out, a bicyclist, a pothole, and even sometimes the tar snakes are mistaken for the centerline. Can this be changed to one beep versus the current BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Can the cruise control beeping be shut off?

·
Registered
374 Posts
When using cruise control, the system beeps when it loses or regains a target. Why?
Read the friggin manual and turn it off.

The system has a panic attack if I move toward the center line to get around a car parked too far out, a bicyclist, a pothole
The bottom line is, you were driving on the center line and it beeped. It doesn't give flip if you are avoiding a car, bicyclist, pothole or if you are dozing off. It is a dumb electronic gizmo, not a mind reader...

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
All of the beeping drives me NUTS! I LOVE the system for what it does, but I HATE all the **** beeping. When using cruise control, the system beeps when it loses or regains a target. Why? The system has a panic attack if I move toward the center line to get around a car parked too far out, a bicyclist, a pothole, and even sometimes the tar snakes are mistaken for the centerline. Can this be changed to one beep versus the current BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Can the cruise control beeping be shut off?
If you activate the blinker, it temporally disables the lane departure alarm.

It's a good safe habit anyway when crossing a center line.
You can reduce the volume of the beeping.

·
Registered
2014 OB Ltd 3.6R
11 Posts
I READ the friggin manual. Reread the original post - I LIKE what the friggin system does; I don't like the friggin beeping.

Dave - I do use the turn signal if I am crossing the line for a ways. I have searched for how to reduce the volume, maybe I should go back and read the manual again. But if you have a quick hint, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks for all the replies, even the friggin one.

Pat

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a salesman I have heard several customer stories on the eyesight system, one including that a lady turned around to do something with her child and the car suddenly braked to a complete stop. When she turned around again, there was a scared looking old man who had pulled out on the the street without right of way.

I have heard other "Thank god for EyeSight" stories as well, but there are some poopy ones. A few are by people that say "When I change lanes, it beeps and it is annoying" I ask them if they signal when they change lanes and they ask "Why would I do that?" Yup, that is the world we live in.

Winter driving has some adverse effects on the eyesight system as it cannot always see the lines and the lane departure warning is best turned off in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
2014 OB Ltd 3.6R
11 Posts
I've seen a number of great stories about the systems as well, and look forward to a time when more cars have this or other systems. I also think smartphones should have a GPS based "turn off" when the phone is moving faster than a walk (tho I've run into distracted walkers before) except for a 911 call.

I am going in for a service soon, and will ask if the beeps can be quieted down and maybe shortened (one beep for a centerline violation?).

I've just discovered another annoying 3 beep signal. Don't need any "friggin" comments about being a clean car nut, but I have a little vacuum cleaner that I use after a visit to my mother-in-law's home with her pine needle covered driveway. As the Aux position of the switch needs to be on to operate the power ports, I get 3 beeps every time I close a door. Anyway to kill that one? I know - it is trying to tell me that the car is "on", but 3 beeps every time?

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I also think smartphones should have a GPS based "turn off"
when the phone is moving faster than a walk ...
That might kinda piss off the passenger-navigator, dontchathink?

Maybe the engine should refuse to start unless/until the driver can pass
an interactive quiz to demonstrate familiarity with the owners manual(s).

...Caution: Objects in the mirror are behind you!

Looby

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I like the functions that eyesight performs, especially the adaptive cruise control, but like other technologies in my car (stereo, nag), Suburu's implementation is very poor. I've had these features on two previous cars and they functioned much better. I agree with the constant beeping, it's really annoying and most of the time it's useless. I turn off the lane signal first thing when I get in my car, except when going on a highway. As I've written here before, the collision avoidance should disable itself below 5mph. I literally cannot park my car in my garage because I need to pull up close to the front and the **** ES keeps stopping the car. I have to cover one "eye" with my hand or turn off the system to park. Ridicules. Another good idea poorly implemented.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I READ the friggin manual. Reread the original post - I LIKE what the friggin system does; I don't like the friggin beeping.
Again, you can turn off friggin beeping for some warnings by following the steps in tha attached friggin manual.You can turn off the Lead Vehicle Acquisition Alert, Lead Vehicle Start Alert and change the beeping volume from Mid (default) to Low. Don't waste your time asking your dealer if they can reduce the number of beeps. They can't. Write to SOA or the Drive magazine instead to let them know how much you hate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 OB Ltd 3.6R
11 Posts
Hey Cyberpirate - thanks for the friggin attachment. I owe you an apology, as I didn't read ALL of the friggin owner's manuals. Tho I couldn't find it in the BIG friggin owner's manual, I did find a friggin Eyesight Owner's Quick Start Manual, which I DIDN'T read, and the customizing functions info is all there. I also didn't read several of the other quick start manuals, as I figured that would all be covered in the Big friggin owner's manual. So - I'm off to read the rest of the friggin owner's manuals.

And Looby, you're right. I just see all of these single driver vehicles being driven erratically (or NOT being driven) by a driver playing with a cell phone.

·
Registered
'15 outback limited twilight blue w/eyesight
49 Posts
How are you eyesight owners dealing with windshield cleaning? My dealer said it was best to make a couple of tin foil covers to cover the cameras, apply windex (or whatever) to the towels OUTSIDE the car and then clean the shield. I know with a new car the shield gets very filmy very quickly, how about the camera lenses? Does the dealer need to clean them?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Hey Cyberpirate - thanks for the friggin attachment. I owe you an apology, as I didn't read ALL of the friggin owner's manuals. Tho I couldn't find it in the BIG friggin owner's manual, I did find a friggin Eyesight Owner's Quick Start Manual, which I DIDN'T read, and the customizing functions info is all there. I also didn't read several of the other quick start manuals, as I figured that would all be covered in the Big friggin owner's manual. So - I'm off to read the rest of the friggin owner's manuals.

And Looby, you're right. I just see all of these single driver vehicles being driven erratically (or NOT being driven) by a driver playing with a cell phone.
:19:

Looks like you got the answer I would have given you.:p

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
How are you eyesight owners dealing with windshield cleaning? My dealer said it was best to make a couple of tin foil covers to cover the cameras, apply windex (or whatever) to the towels OUTSIDE the car and then clean the shield. I know with a new car the shield gets very filmy very quickly, how about the camera lenses? Does the dealer need to clean them?
I was told to never clean the lenses and that the service procedure is expensive.

I apply the cleaning solution to the cloth, then use the the cloth on the glass the way I always have done. Just be sure to not let the cloth touch the lenses.

One of these days I'll look up the FSM procedure but in truth someone here will likely beat me to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts