Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2019 OB 3.6r through the car wash last week. This last time was a hoot........But not to the attendants. The car wash that I go to has several of the large "rugs" that hang down and go back and forth to clean the car. The attendants and signs tell you to leave the car in neutral, engine running and brakes off while you are pulled through. (They forgot Step 4-Eyesight Off). As I approached the first large "rug", off goes the Eyesight red collision warning. No big deal, I've had this warning a couple of times before, with the warning cancelling itself. Not this time though. Wham!!! The brakes are applied, car jumps the track and the car wash shut automatically shuts down. Talk about some upset people screaming at me to not use the brakes. Lesson learned. I now disable the eyesight before I go through the car wash................But look on the bright side. Eyesight saved me from having a "crash".

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2019 2.5 Touring so it has Eyesight. I wonder why it doesn't do that as I go through a similar style wash weekly. I never thought to turn it off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The first thing the sales guy pointed out to me when going through the final walk through on all the buttons and features was, "Turn off Eyesight when going through an automated car wash. If you go to one that "they drive up to the tunnel", make sure you show them how to turn it off! Otherwise it's gonna get messy."

·
Registered
287 Posts
What exactly do you turn off? I don't have a switch or button that says EyeSight on/off. Perhaps it was the Pre-Collision Braking system?
Think of Pre-Collision braking and Eyesight as the same thing. Because Pre-Collision braking is the most important function of the Eyesight system. Now, there are 6 or 8 buttons on the lower dash by your left knee, I believe the button you need to turn off (then back on after your car has been cleaned) is on the top right, it has a pictogram of 2 vehicles in a crash ( I think ), you need to push and hold it for several seconds until you see the dash warning light go on. If you wear glasses, you may need your glasses to see which button it is. IMPORTANT NOTE! Once you leave the car wash tunnel, stop, and turn the Collision Mitigation system BACK ON, by pushing the button down until the dash light goes off. VERY IMPORTANT. DO NOT DRIVE AWAY FROM THE CAR WASH UNTIL THE SYSTEM IS TURNED BACK ON AGAIN Or you can simply turn your car completely off, then restart it again. The car re-initializes the system at each start. See your manual for additional questions or a better understanding of the system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the public service announcement. I haven't gone through that type of wash yet, but will be sure to disable Eyesight before I do.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
some of the techs at the dealer used to forget to toggle that off, when eyesight was new (2013 model I had)... they'd go to drive it through the car wash, and it would scare the bejeezus out of them when it braked and beeped.... hahahaa! that'll teach em!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sales person warned me to shut it off prior to going through the wash. Now they won’t let me go through the wash anyhow because of my Yakima roof rack.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The first time I went though a car wash, my eye-sight sent a brief warning. Since then, I've turned it off. No use asking for trouble.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The guys at my local car wash are trained to always ask if "the eyes are off" (and to ask if you want a sleeve on the rear wiper.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my '14 OB to the car wash a few days ago (I've had it less than 2 weeks as I write this), and EyeSight did this as I approached the first set of felt fingers. Beeps the collision warning and slams on the brakes. I immediately knew what it was, so I turned off the whole system via the button next to the gague dimmer wheel and had no further trouble. Turned it back on when I left the tunnel and all good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
13 Participants
Red Five
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing