Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with package #23
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scenario.
I have a 2015 Outback 3.6R with eyesight.
Yesterday on way home from work while stopped at a stoplight the Eyesight has been disabled/check manual light came on as well as the red brake light (the one that lights up for instance when you are holding on a hill) was flashing. Of course the check manual is useless. It says to have it checked/serviced.

I got home, turned off the engine then restarted. The system worked and I drove it around the block and back home. It was only on a few minutes.

This morning I started car up. Eyesight working but went off after about 5 minutes with same symptoms. I stopped and restarted. It worked for a bout 10 minutes (in stop and go traffic).

I turned if off again and got on the freeway. First part stop and go and drove about 25 miles up the freeway, the last part not stop and go. Took the exit and got in a drive through. It turned off again. Stopped and restarted and it worked the 2 miles or less I had to work.

I called the dealer and they didn't offer much, just bring it in.

I have seen the eyesight temporarily disabled before but it will then come back on. Never anything like this with the brake light flashing.

I notice no other symptoms other than the eyesight disabled and brake light flashing. Nothing seems to be operating out of normal. No check engine or anything either.

Has anybody ever seen this and what was the resolution?
I hoping to get an idea of what I may be getting into. I do have an extended warranty but....

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,166 Posts
... brake light flashing ...
See the 2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 3-19.

Also, has recall WTB63 (parking brake) been performed?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with package #23
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought all recalls were done, but don't know for sure.
Strange it would start off and sometimes come on after the car was running for some time, then on stop/start be off again.

Can't get in to dealer until next week.
Don't see any issue with the car/function of the brakes.
I don't often directly use the parking brake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the same exact thing happened to my car. Have you found any resolution by any chance?

I have been searching on the internet for a while now and could not find a solution. Hoping someone on this forum can shed some light.

I have 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5li and has about 50K on it. Two days ago while driving on the highway, there is a small bump on the road and right after it, the Brake warning light started flashing along with Eye Sight being disabled. I tried couple suggestions found in the forum:

• check the gas cap, open and reclose it till it clicks
• disconnect battery (on the negative part) and reconnect it

None of them works. Appreciate any suggestion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Virtually any cause of a check engine light will produce spurious warnings of all sorts. Eyesight is always disabled for any check engine light situation. If the cause is transient flags thrown anywhere in the computer/sensors/busses these things can happen and after a time reset. A few millivolts out of spec for a few milliseconds on any input or circuit condition can have this result.

I spent two years dealing with stuff like this on my 2015 until the dealer and Subaru America finally figured out the cause originated in a defective original battery. AFter battery replacement the problem has not surfaced again.

The drill is that you go to the dealer, they have to reproduce the fault (in my case it cost them several weeks of giving out their loaners), they have to get a diagnostic on the fault (in my case the result was multiple warranty replacement of thousands of dollars of computer modules that were not faulty to start with). The end result is testimony to the incompetence of the service system to cope with the electronic design of these vehicles. I will say my dealer backed me up 110% percent to get this fixed and it did not cost me a penny other than time and gas to drive to and from the dealer plus aggravation.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,324 Posts
I just had the same exact thing happened to my car. Have you found any resolution by any chance?

I have been searching on the internet for a while now and could not find a solution. Hoping someone on this forum can shed some light.

I have 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5li and has about 50K on it. Two days ago while driving on the highway, there is a small bump on the road and right after it, the Brake warning light started flashing along with Eye Sight being disabled. I tried couple suggestions found in the forum:

• check the gas cap, open and reclose it till it clicks
• disconnect battery (on the negative part) and reconnect it

None of them works. Appreciate any suggestion.
merged posts.

did you have any other dash lights on?

or was it ONLY the brake and the eyesight disabled lights.?

as that kind of just means something in the brakes vs. any of the other car's systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
merged posts.

did you have any other dash lights on?

or was it ONLY the brake and the eyesight disabled lights.?

as that kind of just means something in the brakes vs. any of the other car's systems.

This is what showing on my dashboard (pls see attached picture)

• Brake light warning
• Eye sight disabled warning
• Lane assist and collision detection (which I think are related to Eye Sight being disabled)

Disregard the seat belt warning sign since I took the picture while not driving.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,324 Posts

• Brake light warning
• Lane assist and collision detection (which I think are related to Eye Sight being disabled)

Disregard the seat belt warning sign since I took the picture while not driving.
so fix the brake problem and everything will work again.

one of those maybe a VDC off light. (the one that looks like a sliding car on ice....my old one just says "vdc off").

people hit things like pot holes hard enough to open wiring harnesses, pop a single wire loose, or dislodge ABS sensors all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so fix the brake problem and everything will work again.

one of those maybe a VDC off light. (the one that looks like a sliding car on ice....my old one just says "vdc off").

people hit things like pot holes hard enough to open wiring harnesses, pop a single wire loose, or dislodge ABS sensors all the time.
When you mention "fix the brake problem" .. you meant there is an actual problem with the brake (ie brake pad replacement or things like that), or this is merely something that I need to reset myself (like following certain steps to reset the warning light)?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,324 Posts
When you mention "fix the brake problem" .. you meant there is an actual problem with the brake (ie brake pad replacement or things like that), or this is merely something that I need to reset myself (like following certain steps to reset the warning light)?
if that "brake" light is on, the car needs to get up on a lift and find out why.
and you tell the people what wheels hit the bump. (might save time).

if the car is making noise right now like a brake is sticking or a wheel bearing is seizing. such will be more obvious,

...or they can read the abs braking system and find what corners are effected.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited -2.5 CVT ---- 'Gone' 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair
120 Posts
FLASHING lights indicate you need service NOW!

You have a serious problem - somewhere.

Don't wait for us so called experts to diagnose the problem.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,324 Posts

• Brake light warning

alternatively:

you got a 2015, now 3-4 years old
, brake pads could have wore down by now, making the brake fluid low in the reservoir.

that would make the "brake" light come on and stay on like any car for the past 30? years.

and in a modern car disable the VDC/eyesight etc with that "brake" light.

is your Brake light on steady? flashing? (owners manual says what?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem on a 2014 Outback Premium

I'm having the same problem on a 2014 Outback Premium. Dealer tells me they will have to try replacing the parking brake control/actuator module which is going to cost over $1000 ($600 for the module, $400 for labor). This seems ridiculous to me since I don't even use the parking brake. Does anyone have thoughts on this? If the module is what I need to replace, has anyone ever done this? If so, how hard is it to do myself?

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R, '91 Justy, '93 Loyale, '15 Crosstrek, '04STi (RIP)
25 Posts
On my wife's 2015 Crosstrek she had an issue with the brake light, traction control, ABS lights coming on occasionally when starting and would go away after a restart.
It turned out to be the brake light switch under the dash that senses when the pedal is pushed.
Hers doesn't have eyesight but I would assume that system wouldn't like it if the brake sensor was out of range.
The brake light switch is a common issue on Subaru's and they all seem to use the same $20 part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, first post on the forum. I was driving my 2017 Legacy 2.5i limited and had the exact same lights pop up as shown in the pic in post 7. Any solution to this?
i was driving down the interstate going about 75 mph, didn't hit any bumps, but the lights just came on.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
284 Posts
On my wife's 2015 Crosstrek she had an issue with the brake light, traction control, ABS lights coming on occasionally when starting and would go away after a restart.
It turned out to be the brake light switch under the dash that senses when the pedal is pushed.
Hers doesn't have eyesight but I would assume that system wouldn't like it if the brake sensor was out of range.
The brake light switch is a common issue on Subaru's and they all seem to use the same $20 part.
We had that on my wife's 2016 forester XT. Every conceivable light went off. Drove straight to the dealer, yea it was the brake pedal sensor. Problem solved. 2 weeks before that we had a couple of lights go off, and it had trouble starting, they replaced the battery, ultimately that didn't work, but I got a new battery out of it. :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the lights were off this morning, but came right back on after driving over bumpy roads. That must have been the case the first time it happened, just didn't realize it. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Munzer. Same thing happening to me on my newly acquired 2017 2.5i Limited ( CPO a week ago).

Automatic brake warning message, lane keep assist, auto-braking off and brake light on (no flashing). Eyesight logo in orange.

Happened on day 2 of ownership, after coming down a dirt road. Shut off the car, and it was still there.

As I've owned the car for a week now, I've seen it happen a couple of more times. Both when I've hit a bump. Restarted car at traffic light and it went away.

However last night, it just happened for no good reason on a smooth road.

Truly hope it's just something loose or with the right guidance, something I can fix myself. Needless to say, I did not purchase the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue on a 2015 Outback 2.5l with eyesight deactivated and parking brake light flashing - going in for service in a day, so will let the forum know what the result was!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts