Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5L Limited w/ Technology and Tow Packages
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few recent posts about Eyesight shutting itself off and also read some (not all) old posts, however I don’t believe this was covered so I want to start this new thread.

First and foremost there is a difference between Eyesight disabled and Eyesight off – I’ve had both before and also talked to my dealership quite extensively….please read on.

I have the 2016 Outback and as per the manual (page 87-88 of the 2016 Outback Eyesight driving assist system), “Eyesight Disabled” message is a temporary stop of Eyesight function and normally caused by temporary issues with camera view, such as dirty or foggy windshield, the road marks not clear, etc. As per the manual there could be three possible messages: “Eyesight Disabled/No Camera View”, Eyesight Disabled/Temp Range”, and Eyesight Disabled/Check Manual”. Most of the time the system will be self-corrected when the condition is improved.

On the other hand, the “Eyesight Off/Check Manual” message means malfunction of the Eyesight system (page 86 of the Eyesight manual) and it may be caused by camera malfunction or misalignment of the cameras.

I’ve had the Eyesight Off message twice, both times on a long roadtrip and unfortunately when Eyesight is off, the cruise control – adaptive or not, is disabled. Both times the situation lasted about a few days including over 400+ miles without Eyesight both times. I have tried turning on the A/C (thinking that it may be foggy windshield), turning up the heat (thinking it was too cold), stopping and turning the car off for a few minutes to overnight and none helped. Eventually the message/problem went away after a few days of normal driving, both times.

After the first incident it happened that I had to do the 6k service so I took the car to the closest dealership, and also reported this problem. First thing the dealership asked was if the transponder (EZPass) was too close to the camera but they also asked if I have used winter tire size that is smaller than the original 18 inch. Apparently Subaru released a bulletin saying downsizing wheel from 18 to 17 could cause problem with Eyesight. This bulletin was released in December 2015 and my purchase of the 17 inch wheel/tire from the dealership was in November, before the released of the bulletin.

In January I contacted the dealership I bought the tires from and they said they are aware of the bulletin however also said that they have put over 100 of 17 inch wheel/tire on the new outback with Eyesight and have not had any complains. They were convinced that it was caused by the transponder being too close to the camera. I came back from a recent roadtrip with the transponder removed but I still encounter the same issue – after 800 miles of driving Eyesight turned itself off for the last 400 miles of the trip.

I reported the issue to my dealership again earlier this week and they said they will look into it, including talking to a Subaru Tech who will be visiting next week.

Want to see if others have experienced this “Eyesight Off” (Not Eyesight Disabled) issue? If so, are you running 17 or 18 inch wheel?

I will provide an update should I have more information.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
705 Posts
Gentlemen,

I've had frosty windshield situations turn off the Eye Sight on my 2017 OB Premier until the frost had evaporated, but that is all.

And I run 17 inch winter tires on the car (wheels and tires from my 2012 OBW LTD), originally equipped with 19 inchers from the factory. No Eye Sight issues because of the tire size difference, but the 17 in wheels/tires do read 2 kph higher at 8o kph (verified with a Garmin GPS).

·
Premium Member
2006 Subaru SUS
846 Posts
Can you take a picture of your windshield and where transponder is located?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts