Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think eyesight is a really cool feature, but has anyone noticed that eyesight isn't available with certain options?

So far I've seen that you can't have the special appearance package, interior illumination kit and a few paint colors (I'm not exactly sure on all of the colors but I know black and maybe gray can't have it).

I can understand the whole paint thing getting too hot. But I still wonder about the special appearance pkg and interior illumination kit.

Has anyone else found anything about this?:confused:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
I think eyesight is a really cool feature, but has anyone noticed that eyesight isn't available with certain options?
Not uncommon - they just don't make every combination of options so that dealers don't get stuck with the "weird ones". They make a guess as to what people want and go from there.

So far I've seen that you can't have the special appearance package, interior illumination kit and a few paint colors (I'm not exactly sure on all of the colors but I know black and maybe gray can't have it).
It does seem weird that the SAP and EyeSight aren't available together. Somebody willing to pay extra to get push button starting and memory seats might maybe be interested in paying more to get the EyeSight system, I would have thought!

The colors things was interesting to me, too. And what it shows online is not necessarily what really exists at a dealer OR what you can actually order from the factory. The Venetian Red is supposedly available with the ivory leather interior, but in reality, you have to special order to get that combination.

The interior illumination kit is a dealer-installed item, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get that with either SAP or EyeSight. Apart from the fact that it's like $300 extra for a couple of LEDs.

I can understand the whole paint thing getting too hot. But I still wonder about the special appearance pkg and interior illumination kit.
Paint getting too hot? That's not seriously the reason somebody gave you, is it? If an LED gets so hot that it melts your paint, something is wrong with both the paint AND the LED!

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
Paint getting too hot? That's not seriously the reason somebody gave you, is it? If an LED gets so hot that it melts your paint, something is wrong with both the paint AND the LED!

hes talking about eyesight with paint colors.
You cannot get Black with Eyesight. It is a heat issue.

And since these cars have gotten so expensive, I am guessing making eyesight WITH SAP would be more than most want to spend. I dont know why one couldnt order one this way - but its all about money right? Maybe to produce such a car for just a few random orders was not worth the expense to SAP.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see why the special appearance package w/ eyesight wouldn't be available because of the contents of the

Gray machine-finish 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, front grille with Gray-finish slats, Black-finish headlight inner bezels, Gray-finish folding side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Gray-finish door handles with driver’s door unlock/lock touch sensor, Black rear bumper cover, Saddle Brown Leather-trimmed upholstery, 2-position driver’s seat memory, Matte-finish woodgrain-patterned accent trim, carpeted floor mats with Outback logo and Keyless Access & Start

Nothing here should interfere with eyesight so I wonder what the problem is? Thinking about contacting subaru to ask ill post the answer when I get one.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
hes talking about eyesight with paint colors.
You cannot get Black with Eyesight. It is a heat issue.
Can you cite a source for that? This is the first I've heard of that being the reason. I was under the impression that EyeSight used a visible light camera - not IR - and I can't see any reason at all why the difference in heat between black and, say, "Venetian Red", would cause it to malfunction.

Or is the problem that the car itself will get too hot for the electronics? If that's the case, that's pretty poor design!

And since these cars have gotten so expensive, I am guessing making eyesight WITH SAP would be more than most want to spend. I dont know why one couldnt order one this way - but its all about money right? Maybe to produce such a car for just a few random orders was not worth the expense to SAP.
I had a similar issue when I ordered my Jeep in 2005. You apparently couldn't get the iconic light bar with heated leather seats. It certainly wasn't excessive power drain on the alternator, but perhaps some wiring harness just didn't have 2 ports on it or a fuse slot was reused or something. Could be anything, really. Maybe they just didn't feel like writing two sets of ECU firmware - since surely the SAP must have different code to handle the push-button start and auto-unlock features.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
IIRC the Eyesight and Interior Illumination Kit both use the same connector in the passenger side A-piller.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see why it would be that much more you already have to have the NAV and moonroof and both packages are about the same price so it probably wouldn't be more than a 4500 package altogether. After all if you're buying the outback limited I don't think the extra money would make a difference.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I'm not going to guess Subaru's reasons but sure am glad I got the Eyesight package. Especially now with almost 3 months in the car.

Nobody could have told me how nice adaptive cruise is in traffic. The safety features have been there enough to know it really could make the difference between accident or not. Knowing what I know now would make it even harder for me to consider an appearance package over function.

·
Registered
320 Posts
JDM 2014 Subaru Foresters have both EyeSight and SAP. Not sure about the JDM 2013 Subaru Outback. I'm crossing my fingers that the USDM 2014 Subaru Forester comes with EyeSight and SAP as two options that can be had together.

I couldn't find anything from a quick Google search officially from Subaru but here is the original thread. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/48002-problems-black-2013-outbacks-have-eyesight-2.html

=P You're going to have to do the search yourself if you want an official document. As far as I can tell the blank paint will just make the it worse for computer hardware attached to the roof of your Outback. Laptops and computers have fans (or water cooling for custom computers) to make sure the heat doesn't damage the CPU and graphics card. The EyeSight system doesn't have that. The 2014 Subaru Forester with EyeSight will confirm for us whether or not since the Subaru Forester is also offered in black.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Can you cite a source for that? This is the first I've heard of that being the reason. I was under the impression that EyeSight used a visible light camera - not IR - and I can't see any reason at all why the difference in heat between black and, say, "Venetian Red", would cause it to malfunction.

Or is the problem that the car itself will get too hot for the electronics? If that's the case, that's pretty poor design!
The guy that runs this site

Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, WRX, STI, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek

told me directly.
And if anyone I can find should know about Outbacks, its that guy (not to mention he works for Subaru).
It may not make it malfunction entirely, but with a safety feature that is supposed to stop your car, maybe the potential heat coming off of a hood that sits all day in 105 degree F weather like it sometimes gets at my house (or places where it gets hotter), it may be enough interference that it makes it not as reliable as they want/need it to be.
And heat causes distortion in visible light frequencies too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just e-mailed SoA to see. I was curious why they didn't say anything because the JDM and USDM websites still allow you to configure the Outbacks with EyeSight in the Crystal Black Silica exterior color. Even the JDM 2014 Subaru Forester with EyeSight allows you to configure it with Crystal Black Silica. And unlike the USDM website, the configurator on the JDM website lists each vehicle by their trim which come with or without EyeSight, it's not an option to add on like the USDM 2013 Subaru Outback.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I just e-mailed SoA to see. I was curious why they didn't say anything because the JDM and USDM websites still allow you to configure the Outbacks with EyeSight in the Crystal Black Silica exterior color. Even the JDM 2014 Subaru Forester with EyeSight allows you to configure it with Crystal Black Silica. And unlike the USDM website, the configurator on the JDM website lists each vehicle by their trim which come with or without EyeSight, it's not an option to add on like the USDM 2013 Subaru Outback.
Ive also had the printed 13 OB brochure for a while and it says in the fine print:

7. Eyesight not available with Crystal Black Silica exterior color or ASP.

This is what led me to ask the guy at that site.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ive also had the printed 13 OB brochure for a while and it says in the fine print:

7. Eyesight not available with Crystal Black Silica exterior color or ASP.

This is what led me to ask the guy at that site.
It's odd that they'd print that in a brochure but not add fine print for their websites given the fact that the configurator advertises the opposite. Very unprofessional at the least.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here is the official word from Subaru. This is the reply I got when I sent an e-mail to SoA.

Dear [Removed]:

Thank you for your email received by Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Fuji Heavy Industries performs extreme hot weather testing in Death Valley, CA. before placing vehicles to market. Based upon this hot weather testing, it has been found that extreme heat could compromise the EyeSight system. For this reason, EyeSight is not offered on Crystal Black Silica Outback vehicles. FHI and Subaru want to help keep their owners safe and their vehicles functioning properly.

If you have future comments or questions, please contact us again.

Sincerely,

Lana Downs
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
[Removed]

[Removed]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 11/19/2012 10:55:41 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Removed] Product Information

Is it true that Subaru is no longer offering the Crystal Black Silica exterior color on the 2013 Subaru Outback equipped with EyeSight because the heat from the sun can cause issues with the EyeSight system?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts