Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 subaru outback 2.5i with eyesight
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 9000 miles on my 2017 outback. I have now had about 6 episodes of eyesight turning itself off. On a two occasions, it was a bit misty/foggy. The other occasions, it was just the usual high humidity in minnesota. All the times, except once, were at night.

Anyone else encounter this type of problem?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
I have 9000 miles on my 2017 outback. I have now had about 6 episodes of eyesight turning itself off. On a two occasions, it was a bit misty/foggy. The other occasions, it was just the usual high humidity in minnesota. All the times, except once, were at night.

Anyone else encounter this type of problem?
The system is constantly doing self checks and if it can't see, it turns itself off. If its at night and rainy and no lines on the road, it will most likely turn it self off.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited
7 Posts
At the 30k servicing of my 2016 Outback I mentioned to the service rep that my Eyesight sometimes would turn off during the lightest of rains. I live in Florida so it experiences rain and turning off a lot.

The service rep asked the service manager to weigh in. He told me that behavior was normal for the 2016 version and that the 2018s had an upgraded version.

So the fix (his fix) for my Eyesight problem was to buy a new Outback.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
I have a 2015 Legacy and this is normal. If Eyesight cant see properly, it turns itself off. If there are no lines on the road and its raining and dark, its normal. Its always performing self checks.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
494 Posts
Mine has turned itself off during really dense fog. And for a moment after start up during freezing temperatures. But I also have a MY 2018. I think there was an upgrade between MYs 2017 and 2018.

·
Registered
5 Posts
^^^^ Ditto for the above responses.

They are cameras, if you have a difficult time seeing (adverse weather), they will as well. Default for the system is to turn off. It's safier this way to prevent the automatic braking from randomly applying full brake pressure.
So far, only the systems that utilize sonar/radar are impervious to the atmospheric conditions (Tesla).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,206 Posts
I've been pretty impressed with how well Eyesight manages to recognize the lanes even with quite a bit of snow on the roads.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wonder why they would choose two cameras when ultrasonic sensors are cheap and less error prone., not to mention not having to be up in part of the visible windshield space.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I wonder why they would choose two cameras when ultrasonic sensors are cheap and less error prone., not to mention not having to be up in part of the visible windshield space.
Are ultrasonic sensors capable of "seeing" the different lanes on a road?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I'm sure they wouldn't but, how would that be necessary for precollision braking?
I must have missed where the conversation narrowed from the Eyesight system down to just pre-collision braking. I was wondering if maybe they should have used both which is why I asked the question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts