Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Eyesight system retains visual and related car electronic information like a flight data recorder?

The vision part would have to analyze a stream of images to detect other objects in the field of view and decide if they present a danger. The analysis would also have to consider the car's speed, braking situation, and perhaps steering and G forces when deciding whether or not there's an impending risk requiring a warning to the driver or automatic implementation of remedial action. All of this data could provide a lot of insight into what the car was doing in the event of a serious accident, and perhaps could even be used to prove, or disprove, allegations of dangerous driving, speeding etc.

I don't recall seeing any references to "memory" in descriptions of the Eyesight system but I could see there being some, at least for a short period.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
I've heard mumblings that, in the event of a collision, eyesight retains x-amount of visual data in the moments leading up to the crash. I thought most cars already had "black boxes" of sorts that recorded pedal position, steering angles, etc.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Makes sense that it does- it's required on MY2015 cars. At the very least I'm sure this is the hardware that will do it, even if they need to revise the software on it between now and then.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I actually emailed Subaru suggesting that the next version of eyesite include an SD card slot that would allow a "rolling recording" of the last X minutes/hours, where X is dependent on the capacity of the SD card.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
I actually emailed Subaru suggesting that the next version of eyesite include an SD card slot that would allow a "rolling recording" of the last X minutes/hours, where X is dependent on the capacity of the SD card.
Since it has both front and rear camera (for backing up) I would also suggest that if an impact is detected while in park, footage is recorded for 5 minutes using both the eyesight front cameras and the backup camera for those rare (but costly and annoying) hit and run situations.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
It's in the book, though I don't recall which page - that the system retains video and that video can be accessed by law enforcement if requested in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm just wondering if you can pull the old, "I'm sorry officer. I thought there was a fire risk from a short so I disconnected the battery after the accident" routine...

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
It's in the book, though I don't recall which page - that the system retains video and that video can be accessed by law enforcement if requested in the event of an accident.
The same law that says it has to be on the 2015s also says the owner of the car holds the rights to the video. Obviously law enforcement could still take it into evidence, demand it via subpoena etc... but the car owner owns the video. So what happens when the finance company owns the car? Hmmm...

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
The same law that says it has to be on the 2015s also says the owner of the car holds the rights to the video. Obviously law enforcement could still take it into evidence, demand it via subpoena etc... but the car owner owns the video. So what happens when the finance company owns the car? Hmmm...
Not a problem! :)

"I declare that the down payment of my vehicle goes towards the specific purchase of Eyesight and the components that make it functional!"

That outta tellum! Heh.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I'm just wondering if you can pull the old, "I'm sorry officer. I thought there was a fire risk from a short so I disconnected the battery after the accident" routine...
That won't erase the memory. Many accidents "automatically" disconnect the battery.
Cops and insurance companies have been uploading telemetry from the EDR for years. It is and was part of the airbag system. They only time I pull the information from one is after a fatal accident. It should also be known police now need a search warrant to upload the information. Not an issue since the vehicle is impounded as evidence anyway. Data from the EDR is a crucial part of accident reconstruction.
The hardware and software needed to read the EDR cost about $5,000 so don't plan on using your PC to read one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The hardware and software needed to read the EDR cost about $5,000 so don't plan on using your PC to read one.
Event data recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...but it's electronic and software controlled. What is $5k and poorly understood today could be $20 and "there's an app for that" very soon. As with most modern stuff, the legal barriers are of greater concern than the technical roadblocks.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
Take it from someone who does accident recon for a living, even if you could pull the data off the eyesight, you would not necessarily know how to use it. Most cdr boxes font give you a speed per Se, they give you things like delta v and percentage of braking. Besides, all of that is completely useless in court unless A: you are certified to read that info and B: its stored in a chain of custody (evidence).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Having built, installed and analyzed flight data recorders on combat aircraft over 20 years ago I can tell you that this technology is getting smaller and smaller and easier to use. Parameters like positiuon, velocity and acceleration are all manageable but putting the context to the data is where the art is located.
I can understand how this data could help in a fatal accident but for your common run of the mill accident I doubt anyone would be interested in spending the money.

Progressive's data recorder is nothing more than OBDII code reader and it does sample position, velocity and acceleration all for the point of seeing how you drive. It (as far as I know) don't know where you are so it can't tell if you are speeding or not especially since it isn't getting nav information if you don't have one.

I am not for more big brother but as it always almost the case the majority of Congress occupations are lawyers and you know we always need more and more laws. I am not willing to give up more freedom for the concept of more security...

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Ignoring the standard data for a moment, it would be very easy to interpret video data, which I think is what this thread is specifically focused on.

People like pictures, and an EyeSight being used as a VEDR could be the "killer app" that drives demand for people to get routine access to their own data.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Take it from someone who does accident recon for a living, even if you could pull the data off the eyesight, you would not necessarily know how to use it. Most cdr boxes font give you a speed per Se, they give you things like delta v and percentage of braking. Besides, all of that is completely useless in court unless A: you are certified to read that info and B: its stored in a chain of custody (evidence).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
A certification and a chain of evidence are proper standards to uphold when using the data in a legal context, but this says nothing about accessing the same data for other purposes.

There is no reason to prevent anyone from polling, copying & interpreting this data for future applications. They might not do it accurately, but since the interpretation isn't going to be applied in a courtroom then it doesn't matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts