Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep cars for 10+ years. I am contemplating getting a 2019 Outback with Eyesight. However, 10 years from now, I can imagine a situation where Eyesight will have electrical issues. Instead of getting it fixed right away, I would like the option of disabling/powering off the system. Do you see this as feasible?

(I did a search and found nothing right on point. I have never had Eyesight and have absolutely no feel for the system. What may seem to obvious to you is not to me.)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
142 Posts
I think their is a option to turn it off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
595 Posts
Worst case scenario, put black tape over the cameras and the system should disable itself.

Reactions: Boilerfan86

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
So the 2019 Quick Guide to EyeSight is here:
EyeSight QuickGuide

At least in the '19 EyeSight automation includes:
ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control
LDW - Lane Departure Warning
LKA - Lane Keep Assist
PCB - Pre-Collision Braking

The other safety functions are also described in the document:
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB)
High Beam Assist (HBA)
Steering Responsive Headlights (SRH)
and
Steering Responsive Foglights (SRF)

And just when you thought it was safe to get in the water, there is:
PCTM - Pre-Collision Throttle Management
LSW - Lane Sway Alert
LVSA - Lead Vehicle Start Alert

And you can read up on all of this here:
Eyesight Owner's Manual

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the 2019 Quick Guide to EyeSight is here:
EyeSight QuickGuide

At least in the '19 EyeSight automation includes:
ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control
LDW - Lane Departure Warning
LKA - Lane Keep Assist
PCB - Pre-Collision Braking

The other safety functions are also described in the document:
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB)
High Beam Assist (HBA)
Steering Responsive Headlights (SRH)
and
Steering Responsive Foglights (SRF)

And just when you thought it was safe to get in the water, there is:
PCTM - Pre-Collision Throttle Management
LSW - Lane Sway Alert
LVSA - Lead Vehicle Start Alert

And you can read up on all of this here:
Eyesight Owner's Manual
Thanks. I can read that all day, but your personal experience is more valuable here. For example, if anybody has ever experienced a situation where they tried to turn off a malfunctioning Eyesight but the system made life miserable, I want to know. Or if nobody ever had issues disabling, I want to know that too.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The “other safety features” noted in the quick guide are separate and independent systems apart from eyesight. Nifty they are listed in it I guess.

Of all the eyesight functions, you can turn many off, and they stay off with the next ignition cycle except for the pre collision braking/pre collision throttle management.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Red on Ivory
71 Posts
Thanks. I can read that all day, but your personal experience is more valuable here. For example, if anybody has ever experienced a situation where they tried to turn off a malfunctioning Eyesight but the system made life miserable, I want to know. Or if nobody ever had issues disabling, I want to know that too.
You can get your own opinion: take one for a ride and you will be able to turn it off yourself.
Like with any computer there are situations that will drive you up the wall. In general, I like most of the gizmos in MY19OB 3.6

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get your own opinion: take one for a ride and you will be able to turn it off yourself.
Like with any computer there are situations that will drive you up the wall. In general, I like most of the gizmos in MY19OB 3.6
And I would still rather defer to people who have been using Eyesight for years.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,655 Posts
In my experience, if EyeSight malfunctions, it turns itself off. Why would we be worrying about a failing EyeSight system 10 years down the road if it disables itself. Unless of course that's what you're worrying about, EyeSight not recognizing that it's broken.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my experience, if EyeSight malfunctions, it turns itself off. Why would we be worrying about a failing EyeSight system 10 years down the road if it disables itself. Unless of course that's what you're worrying about, EyeSight not recognizing that it's broken.
As I said, I am thinking about the case where Eyesight malfunctions 10 years from now, and I don’t want to get it fixed right away. It will be out of warranty, and may cost thousands to fix. I will want the ability to shut it off without drama. I want to hear about any stories of people having issues disabling their Eyesight. Again, I do not have the system. The concept of disabling Eyesight is probably second nature to you, but it is foreign territory to me. Absolutely nothing here is obvious to me.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,285 Posts
In 60k of driving with eyesight it's had a few false positives.

Mostly off road with low hanging tree branches. I turn it off because of this.

One time it didn't want to drive up ramps on the garage.

I was closer than normal that time but just stayed on the throttle and it let me go up.

The system also turns itself off if it thinks it's getting bad data.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
500 Posts
I'd assume the circuit is fused. Without looking at cause and effect, would removing a fuse(s) disable ES. Perhaps a question better asked at the dealer...… can ES be permanently disable? Will other systems be affected. For example you bought the car and now don't like ES (unlikely but possible reason). I haven't seen any reference on this forum of ES being permanently disable.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
One time it didn't want to drive up ramps on the garage.
This one has confused me a bit. Mine will never go up the ramps unless I shut down collision mitigation. Granted I've never tried to really hammer the throttle, but when the "obstacle detected" lights up in the dash I just shut it down and retry. There's no way the cameras can see the ramps so I have to assume it's seeing the garage wall ~15' away and doesn't like the amount of throttle I'm requesting.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
592 Posts
This one has confused me a bit. Mine will never go up the ramps unless I shut down collision mitigation. Granted I've never tried to really hammer the throttle, but when the "obstacle detected" lights up in the dash I just shut it down and retry. There's no way the cameras can see the ramps so I have to assume it's seeing the garage wall ~15' away and doesn't like the amount of throttle I'm requesting.
I can't pull into our garage without disabling eyesight. We have a refrigerator against the wall and apparently it sees that as a person or obstacle and locks the brakes about halfway into the garage.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,149 Posts
Like others have said, the system is designed (presumably for safety purposes) such that it absolutely has to know whether or not it's functioning correctly at all times. When a problem is detected, such as fog on the camera lenses, it shuts itself off. I would imagine they've gone to great lengths to ensure that the system can't just start freaking out, randomly taking control of the vehicle. If that were to somehow happen, as has been suggested, you have the ability to disable it with the press of a button. Covering the cameras would be another way to ensure it remains disabled, and would probably be a good option for those of us with earlier Gen 5s where the system defaults to enabled at each drive cycle.

IMO, this is a not something to concern yourself with. It will almost certainly take care of itself. You might consider asking in the Gen 4 forum, where high-mileage vehicles equipped with ES are much more common (that would be the first-gen system, but probably still relevant). I haven't seen any major issues in the Gen 5 forum.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts