Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The eye sight on my 2016 Subaru has quit working. The message lettering is yellow stating eyesight is off check manual. I had the car to a local automotive shop with a very up to date non OEM interface. The codes for eye sight are B28AA stereo camera abnormal and B28B3 stereo camera abnormal. The local shop tried to do a re-calibration on the eye sight and had no success. The program did absolutely nothing just stalled. There is no OEM dealer in my town to take the car to. Would love to get this working again. When it was working it performed flawlessly with the normal outages due to fog or rain (white lettering). Eyesight also died slowly over a couple weeks with intermittent shut downs (white lettering) for no reason during clear weather. The windshield inside and out is clean in front of the camera. I have tried spraying the camera lens's with canned compressed air to remove any dust. The windshield has been replaced with an aftermarket unit and recalibrated at the time of replacement. Eyesight worked for 2 months after windshield replacement. There seems to be a ton of issues on the net about eyesight not working with aftermarket windshields. I am unsure if it is the windshield causing the problem or other issues. I also found during my research that the camera cover needs to be aligned with the camera lens with a 1 mm gap around the edges. I noted that the camera cover did not have this correctly. I have shimmed the plastic cover for correct alignment with no luck getting eyesight to work again. The battery was disconnected for cleaning about the time that eyesight quit. Is there a reset procedure like the auto window functions that needs to be performed for eyesight to be turned back on? I am open to suggestions for repair.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,246 Posts
These codes together are an issue within the camera.

Have your shop clear the codes in the module. A battery disconnect will not clear it or reset it. After the codes are cleared, turn the ignition off and then restart the car and check the codes display again. If these two codes pop up again, the camera may have been damaged. The 28AA code is communication issue because of something with the micro computer in the camera. The B3 code is a definite camera replacement and nothing can be done to correct it normally.

Since you've had the battery disconnected, insure the battery is good, the cables have great conductance, no more than 2 Ohms resistance through the ground cable to the block, no more than 4 Ohms to the body. The measurement should be from the post, not the clamp, to the lug on the block or the block itself and the lugs on the body. You can also check to the alternator case. The positive cable to the fuse box should be 2 Ohms or less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will check out the suggested resistance values this weekend. When the battery was disconnected I was cleaning the terminals with baking soda/water mix and emery paper. They were greased upon re-assembly so that connection should be good. I have a load tester to check the battery with and will check that as well. It is starting the car fine so I do not suspect any issues there. I will double check the battery terminal connections to ensure. The code print out I have shows the 28AA code as a history fault and the B3 code as current and history. We did clear all the codes at the time to see what would come back. I will get the codes checked again to see if the B3 code is still an active fault or if anything new has surfaced. What does the B3 code mean? The print out just says Stereo Camera abnormal.

·
Premium Member
13,246 Posts
The grease on the battery is no good. Clean it off. You can't prevent the fuzzy crap, that's acid from the battery. If you had it prior to cleaning it, your battery is gonna fail . Corrosion can be limited with paint after you have the clamp on and tight. Load test is inaccurate. You should measure ampere output with the battery cold, engine not running.

the B3 code is a failure in the micro-processor. If it comes back and the battery and cables test good, then the camera has been damaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neg Battery post to cable mount bolt on block is 0.7 ohms.
Neg battery post to body lug on LH FRT strut tower is 0.2 ohms
Neg battery post to alternator case is 0.8 ohms
Pos battery post to main terminal post in under hood fuse box is 0.2 ohms
Have you ever had one of these cameras apart? Are they serviceable? Prior to spending a couple grand on replacing this camera I have no inhibitions about taking it apart to see if it is repairable.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
196 Posts
I see Eyesight camera assemblies on eBay with asking prices all over the place, but the average seems to be about $150 (USD). No idea how difficult it is to install and calibrate.

·
Premium Member
13,246 Posts
Depending on where your meter was set, the .7 and .8 measurements may be an issue. Ideally you would want identical resistance through the main ground as you have with the positive cable and the short ground to the strut tower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts