Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a potential buyer of a 2016 - 2017 Outback - Limited or Premium model. My biggest question at this point - opt for a model with Eyesight & Blind spot monitoring, or choose to stay without it. This will be the newest car I have owned, and I have researched these cars and driven 6 of them so far. I am in my 40's and have never had any type of major accident or near-miss while driving, including 9 years in the Chicago area. I do not use GPS (by choice) or a cell phone at all while driving. I dislike the concept of being "monitored" and overall live a quite "analog" life.

So - not to start a crazy talk thread here, but what exactly does Eyesight monitor, where does the data go, etc? And is there any real reason "not" to invest in this technology. About 50% of the cars I have looked at have it, the other 50% do not. Appreciate any meaningful input.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
128 Posts
My vote is get Eyesight. Adaptive cruise is great! Good driving habits make all other features redundant.

It has limitations that you either learn to live with or annoy the crap out of you. I get a handful of false lane departure warnings every week. When on narrow dirt roads, I get some false forward collision warnings. It also doesn't work well in low visibility conditions... when it's needed most. Overall, I feel it's worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just found this thread - I think my thread can be closed, apologies for lacking to search first.

I believe that comments on that thread have conviced me to try it...:)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
Embrace EyeSight. If you're already a good driver, you'll seldom be aware that it's even there. But EyeSight is a second set of eyes that never get fatigued, careless, or distracted.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
59 Posts
1st: Be a good driver as mentioned above
2nd: You're going to screw up from time to time and Eyesight can help with that.

I've had it hit the brakes on me when I happened to look off to the side of the road and the car in front of me had suddenly stopped. I may very well have hit the car in front of me had it not caught it.

Adaptive cruise control is nice. It's not 100%. It is over cautious, which I suppose is good, in that if you're cruising along at 70MPH and then the person in front of you starts to get into the exit lane and starts slowing down (not enough to where you'd ever do anything about it if it were just you), Adaptive cruise control slows you down by quite a bit trying to figure out what's going on and when the person is clearly out of your way it'll get you back up to speed. It's an annoyance. I suppose it's better than a crash but it could be smoothed out a bit.

I'd also say it's a little too trigger happy on the "OBSTACLE AHEAD - IMPACT IMMINENT!!!" (or whatever it says) warning. I get why but it'd be nice if there were a way to set the threshold on both this and adaptive cruise control.

You can turn them both off, if they bug you.

Overall: Great system.
Minor: Annoyances

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,972 Posts
Eyesight can also make average drivers complacent if they think of it as autonomous driving. I'm a fan of Eyesight but it is important to be aware of its limitations and what it is meant to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ I get this, my entire career driving I have been a 5 and 6 speed manual transmission advocate. I vastly prefer rowing my own, with an actual third pedal. So this will be a major step away from what I am used to in many different levels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are very similar. I've always had and preferred simple cars. I bought a used 2017 outback, not really caring about the nanny stuff. The car I picked just had all the safety options and I'm actually glad they're there. They're nice features and they can be easily turned off individually with an on/off button. I have never found them to be annoying and have the need to turn them off though. My other cars are a simple 6 spd WRX and 5 spd 500 abarth. The only modern safety feature on the WRX is a backup camera and nothing on the abarth. The only downside I see is the repair cost if needed.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
Adaptive cruise control is nice. It's not 100%. It is over cautious, which I suppose is good, in that if you're cruising along at 70MPH and then the person in front of you starts to get into the exit lane and starts slowing down (not enough to where you'd ever do anything about it if it were just you), Adaptive cruise control slows you down by quite a bit trying to figure out what's going on and when the person is clearly out of your way it'll get you back up to speed. It's an annoyance. I suppose it's better than a crash but it could be smoothed out a bit.
When this happens you can just put a little pressure on the gas pedal to override and maintain speed, then when the car finishes getting out of the way press on as normal. This is easier than disengaging and re-engaging, just thought you might like to know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm late to the party here but I have eyesight on my 2018. I wasn't sure I wanted it because I never felt like I really needed it.

Then the week after I bought my car I was on the highway, checking my blind spot before change lanes and my car beeps and slams on the brakes. In the split second I took to check my blind spot, the car in front of me had slammed on their brakes so a car could cut across 3 lanes of traffic. Glad I had it that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
228 Posts
Mine has blind spot monitoring and reverse traffic alert and I do not have eyesight. But to each their own some people love it some do not.. I do not.

·
Registered
Old: '13 Focus St ::: New: '18 3.6 Ltd in white
21 Posts
^^ I get this, my entire career driving I have been a 5 and 6 speed manual transmission advocate. I vastly prefer rowing my own, with an actual third pedal. So this will be a major step away from what I am used to in many different levels.
Ditto. Gonna miss my third pedal, but really most of my driving is either highway road trips or commuter traffic, and stick is pointless for the former and a pita for the latter.

I'm going all in on the "dadwagon" and getting eyesight, but obviously you need to do what feels right for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts