Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing an OB but frankly the Eyesight system scares me. I've seen stories with Eyesight as well as other accident avoidance systems where the automatic braking actually caused, or almost caused, an accident simply because "accelerating to avoid" the situation was the proper accident avoidance step to take as opposed to braking. Example: Driving down multi lane road in the middle lane. Car in the right lane swerves over in front of you. Proper technique to avoid a collision is for you to move over into left lane quickly. However, in one story I read the accident avoidance system immediately applied the brakes when the car in the right lane swerved over in front of the car in middle lane. This sudden stop/slow down caused the car in the middle lane to not be able to move over to the left lane quickly enough and ended up getting rear ended.

So my question is this. If you have the Eyesight system and the system starts braking when actually that is NOT what needs to be done, will pressing on the accelerator cancel the braking action and put the car back in the control of the driver?

I drive 50 miles each day one way (100 total) on the interstate and there have been numerous times when speeding up was the best way to avoid an accident vs. slowing down.

Thoughts would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
If you have the Eyesight system and the system starts braking when actually that is NOT what needs to be done, will pressing on the accelerator cancel the braking action and put the car back in the control of the driver?
In most cases, yes, you can override EyeSight's control inputs.

If you're a good driver now, just drive the way you always have and you will be fine.

Reactions: Skydaver

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,703 Posts
Yup. It works the same as a normal cruise control.

Braking will cancel it but you can speed up as well.

The car will slow down after you let off the accelerator pedal and slow back down to original speed.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
OP is not talking about ACC but EAS (emergency automated braking) In that case, I don't think that the driver can over ride the system by using the accelerator. Others like Yoda who is more knowledgeable can probably give a definite answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
Yes and no! If Eyesight has determine an collision could be imminent no you can't override the braking. Another true life example you trying to move forward but there is a vehicle at a full stop in front, Eyesight will signal by beeping and you cannot accelerate/move forward the vehicle will stay at a full stop.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
355 Posts
ES will follow the input from a steering wheel. Just because there is a car in front of you does not mean that ES will react to it when your wheels are turned right and path is clear. Unless you are to slow to react. There are limitations.
Because of scenario you described I try to avoid middle lane as much as possible. I find right lane safer and sometimes faster than the other lanes.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
ES will follow the input from a steering wheel. Just because there is a car in front of you does not mean that ES will react to it when your wheels are turned right and path is clear. Unless you are to slow to react. There are limitations.
Because of scenario you described I try to avoid middle lane as much as possible. I find right lane safer and sometimes faster than the other lanes.
I dont think EAB takes into account the front wheel direction. It is a camera based system which senses car direction from camera video images. If the car has already turned and is facing an open space ahead and the camera has time to recognize the new situation, it will not brake.

But in most cases, it will apply the brakes.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
33 Posts
From my experience the place where Eyesight has the most trouble is when following cars that turn. When I first got the car, I had a couple of experiences where the collision alarm went off and it was because I was getting very close to the car that was turning in front of me. I stopped doing that. Problem solved.

If you drive aggressively cutting curves, passing fast in bypass lanes and timing people turning in front of you to the millisecond, Eyesight is not for you. If you are a teenager or a senior citizen, it is a MUST HAVE.

The biggest day-to-day advantage is that it dramatically increases the practical utilization of cruise control. In moderate traffic, it performs very nicely and predictably, you just need to make sure the difference between your actual speed and your target speed don't get too far apart. I don't use it in heavy traffic at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP is not talking about ACC but EAS (emergency automated braking) In that case, I don't think that the driver can over ride the system by using the accelerator. Others like Yoda who is more knowledgeable can probably give a definite answer.

Right. I wasn't talking about the adaptive cruise control. Rather I was asking if the emergency automated braking is "deactivated" by pressing on the accelerator. If not then I presume you are purely at the mercy of the system once it kicks in. Thanks for taking time to reply.

I realize I can turn the system off but I just hate the hassle of having to remember to do that.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You are welcome. But do remember that by the time EAB gets activated, it is nearly impossible for ordinary drivers to stop the car successfully in the remaining time. So if you are not already "out of the view" of the ES cameras by the time EAB gets activated, you probably will not be able to get out of the range before you hit the car in the front. But everyone is different and you may have much better reflexes. So please judge for yourself.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,446 Posts
Found this in the Eyesight manual:

>>>
When the Pre-Collision Braking System is activated, it will continue to operate even if the accelerator pedal is partially depressed. However, it will be canceled if the accelerator pedal is deeply depressed.
<<<

>>>
If the driver depresses the brake pedal or turns the steering wheel, the system may determine that this constitutes evasive action by the driver, and the automatic braking control may not activate in order to allow the driver full control.
<<<

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
As others have said, you can override EAB by accelerating, but it won't work if the other car is only a few feet in front of you. I've never tried "deeply" depressing the accelerator pedal in the situation where EAB kicks in though. The last time EAB was triggered, I was driving in the right lane of a 6-lane road going about 40mph. The SUV in front of me turned into a gas station and I thought by the time I got to where he was turning, he would have cleared the lane. He slowed down more than I anticipated as he turned into the gas station and before I started braking, EAB activated. Without EAB, I probably would have been able to go around the SUV without a problem. Knowing how the system operates, I probably should have slowed down on my own instead of letting EAB activate. After having EyeSight for 2 years now, I wouldn't get a car without it. It truly is an amazing feature.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
339 Posts
>>>
If the driver depresses the brake pedal or turns the steering wheel, the system may determine that this constitutes evasive action by the driver, and the automatic braking control may not activate in order to allow the driver full control.
<<<
I recall reading that this was the cause of (at least) two autonomous vehicle test crashes, one with a Tesla and the other either a Subaru or Volvo (and a cardboard cutout of a kangaroo) where the "driver" also hit the brakes by instinct, which disabled the automated braking. The problem was that the drivers didn't slam hard enough on the brakes, and the collision would have been avoided if they hadn't done anything.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

>>>
When the Pre-Collision Braking System is activated, it will continue to operate even if the accelerator pedal is partially depressed. However, it will be canceled if the accelerator pedal is deeply depressed.
<<<

>>>
<<<
Thanks. I should read the manual more thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

>>>
<<<

>>>
<<<
Come to think of it, it is rare that the driver will not move steering wheel during driving with or without imminent collision.

Subaru says that in that condition EAB "may not" activate. Looks like a lawyer wrote this to avoid lawsuit in case EAB did not activate. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,446 Posts
Come to think of it, it is rare that the driver will not move steering wheel during driving with or without imminent collision.

Subaru says that in that condition EAB "may not" activate. Looks like a lawyer wrote this to avoid lawsuit in case EAB did not activate. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, or not quite ready to trust it, but I'd prefer that it not activate or disengage as soon as I add inputs. I want to be in control. Sure, let it jump in while I process that "Oh, ****!" moment, but once I steer, accelerate, or brake, I want ES to let go... it's MY car.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R with Eyesight
350 Posts
Have any of you had problems wth nuisance activations/false alarms?
With cruise control off? rarely. It may beep and flash now and then, but I can't recall it ever hitting the brakes. Maybe that's because I'm pressing on the gas pedal.

With cruise control on? frequently. It seems to be far more sensitive when cruise control is on, and I use cruise control whenever possible. No false alarms on the freeway, but at low speeds it's been known to brake for shadows - just be ready to hit the gas and it over-rides it. In wide lanes when someone ahead is turning off, but still a few inches in my lane it gets nervous and wants to brake, even when there is plenty of room to get around them. Be ready to hit the gas. Sometimes I have no idea what triggered it, just be ready to hit the gas.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
Have any of you had problems wth nuisance activations/false alarms?
The only time mine activated when I wish it didn't was on the expressway when a large empty plastic bag flew out of a bed of a pick up truck and landed not too far away in front of me. Given the traffic, it was safer to go over the bag than slow down to a stop and risk getting rear ended, and I found out the hard way that pressing the gas to the floor does actually override emergency braking.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.