Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, traveling at highway speeds, several hundred feet behind a van towing a trailer loaded with family vacation stuff, a bike fell off the trailer and started bouncing down the road........I didn't have the foresight to order Eyesight for our 2015 OB Ltd....thanks to my reflexes, my wife's warning and the OB's agility, I braked and steered around the bike so disaster was averted BUT it did set my mind to thinking about ES again.

The questions is: if we had ordered ES in the OB, how would ES have responded? ...or would it have responded at all, seeing that a bike is tubes and spokes NOT a solid object......

My wife's 2018 Crosstrek is due in in a couple of weeks and we wisely ordered hers with ES so she's covered BUT I still am curious......

The plan is to wait to order a new OB in 2020 when the Gen 6 is available...........

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
Very possible since it was at Eyesight range of view and it seems that it was around the correct height. It definitely would have warned you of the hazard but I doubt it would have been any help since the object was heading towards your vehicle and you would still had to manual avoid the hazard.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,024 Posts
I concur with Yoda.
Having driven with EyeSight for the last couple years, I've had incidences where cars and trucks have cut me off at freeway speeds and it has alerted me to the hazard but has yet to engage the brakes. Usually, I'm already reacting so I can't say for certain what it would do if left to its own.
It would have definitely reacted to the bicycle, but as to breaking at highway speed, I'm just not sure.
It states in the manual that automatic braking is disabled over, I think, 45? I did have the brakes engage once when a pedestrian darted out in front of me while driving through town. It happened so fast I had no time to react, but Eyesight did!
One saved life is well worth the extra cost of the system. And I have NEVER had a false braking situation. I have had it alert when I've approached a very contrasty shadow in bright sunlight, but it's never engaged the brakes by accident.
It's nice to know the car is watching at all times while I'm driving.
It doesn't cause me to become lazy driving, just aware that it's there, just in case my mind wanders off... :wink2:

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

That confirms what I think we would have witnessed/experienced had I gotten ES back in 2015........not that I wanted or expected an autonomous experience, still just curious if the audible alert would have detected the tumbling target......

Again, no matter since the OB (and its driver/passenger) were alert.........

Thanks!! Another week or two and the 2018 Crosstrek for my wife is delivered..........

Steve

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
It states in the manual that automatic braking is disabled over, I think, 45? I did have the brakes engage once when a pedestrian darted out in front of me while driving through town. It happened so fast I had no time to react, but Eyesight did!
It's disabled over 100 MPH.

Pre-Collision Braking Assist function does not operate when the vehicle
speed is approximately 7 MPH (10 km/h) or less or 100 MPH (160 km/h) or
more
I've had it engage around 55 MPH IIRC when a car in front of me was making a right turn. Happened in my first drive with it returning from the dealership; startled me for sure but now I know how it works.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
Ive had ES kick in when a small deer ran out in front of me. Also when I was driving in to a grass field to park and a gust of wind blew the tall grass around, that resulted in a full ABS stop. I also had a hard time parking in a gravel parking lot while skiing when a parking attendant told me to pull forward. It didnt move just beeped at me. It also oill not let me back up if my 6 year old is anywhere near the back of the car.

I have only played with this in my 2005 STI. ( This was done outside the US) If I have cruse control set and I push the accelerate button the car will continue to accelerate for ever but as soon as I let go it will slow down to 100 Mph. If I keep pushig up it will go all the way to fuel cut in 6th gear at 187.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
It's disabled over 100 MPH.

I've had it engage around 55 MPH IIRC when a car in front of me was making a right turn. Happened in my first drive with it returning from the dealership; startled me for sure but now I know how it works.
Hmmm.... that's odd, I'm surprised they stopped automatic braking at 100 when they kill cruise at 90. Although, it is in the manual. I just didn't realize that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts