Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts
How does that differ from the lane keeping assist? It sounds like the same thing to me. Which has been all the 5th gen OB with Eyesight

Reactions: donaldedwards

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
Subaru's LKA tries to keep you in your lane (i.e. it tries to prevent crossing lane stripes), but it's not intended to keep the vehicle centered in the lane. Big difference.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
904 Posts
FWIW the LKA does a better job of keeping the OB between the lines than many other brands. It's a little annoying at times how quickly it butts in. I usually move towards the left side of the lane while passing trucks or wider vehicles and it likes to fight me a bit even though I'm not anywhere near the line.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, 2010 2.5i Premium CVT
139 Posts
It's a little annoying at times how quickly it butts in. I usually move towards the left side of the lane while passing trucks or wider vehicles and it likes to fight me a bit even though I'm not anywhere near the line.
That's why I keep it turned off almost all of the time. It's particularly problematic on curves where the vehicle to the inside of you strays up to or over the line.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
358 Posts
The only time I turn the LKA on is when I need a short nap while driving or when I climb into the back to grab another beer out of the cooler.
I want to be there when you tell that one to the judge.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Any updated knowledge on touring assist coming to the USA?
I don't know, but I will speculate: either 1) not before the next major Legacy/Outback platform update (MY 2020?), or 2) not before the next EyeSight generation appears in the North American market.

One thing I'm sure of ... the Outback continues to evolve. If you insist on waiting for the "ultimate" model to appear, you'll probably never buy anything. See: Analysis Paralysis.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
20 Posts
...If you insist on waiting for the "ultimate" model to appear, you'll probably never buy anything. See: Analysis Paralysis.

I struggle with this all the time. Little things, big things, doesn't matter. Things like committing to a color. Choosing the color of my OB was way harder for me than choosing the OB itself. Had no idea this affliction had a name. :) It is quite the eye opener for someone struggling with that though when they realize there will always be a newer one coming right after the one you're looking at. Phones, cars, technology in general... none of it is ever "finished" or "perfect"... good point you made here.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Phones, cars, technology in general... none of it is ever "finished" or "perfect"...
Funniest thing ... my wife and I are still fully satisfied with the feature set in our now-ancient 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
This would explain the random hole in my JDM grille...
I think the random hole in your JDM grille is for the front camera. Go check out the grille on the new Touring Ascent, then look at the OTHER trim levels. And check out the 2019 Forester grilles, they have a mold mark that suspiciously looks like it could pop out for a front mount camera as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts