Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post. Cant decide what 2013 outback to get. Really would like both features but I cant have my cake and eat it too. I dont drive much on the highway. Really like the eyesight technology but if I am understanding correctly it does not help with blind spot merging into other lane issues. So which one would you get. Plan on having car for long time. Kept last car for over 10 years.

Thanks for your time. Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry - my other question is any chance that in 2014 the Outback body will drastically change. Sales people say no but I dont trust them.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Really like the eyesight technology but if I am understanding correctly it does not help with blind spot merging into other lane issues. So which one would you get.
I just got EyeSight and I love it. SAP gives you memory seats and push-button start, and that's about it. Oh, and brown seats. Not that exciting compared to what EyeSight gives you.

You're correct about the blind-spot monitoring. The two cameras face forward and don't have any information about blind spots. When I talk about EyeSight, the FIRST thing people say is 'oh cool, so does it warn you when somebody's in your blind spot??' 'nope'

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Limited
9 Posts
The Eyesight package is hands down the better package for me. After living with it a solid month through crowded street driving and freeway driving it's a godsend. Even when driving empty roads, the lane departure warning is mighty useful if you get a little dozy.

If you're not surrounded by any traffic whatsover, the SAP might be better for you. The SAP package's keyless entry is certainly a nice luxury, but for me I still enjoy actually twisting the key on the ignition (don't get me wrong, I'll take the keyless pushbutton too if available) so it's not a huge loss, but living in the LA/OC area having a traffic-jam aid is HUGE. I will never purchase a car without adaptive cruise control ever again as long as I live in Southern California.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Limited
9 Posts
Sorry - my other question is any chance that in 2014 the Outback body will drastically change. Sales people say no but I dont trust them.
You probably misread it for the 2014 Forester. The Outback will be around as is for another 2-3 years. But we all can be sure Subaru will spitefully combine Eyesight with memory seats and keyless proximity access as an all in one package for us 2013 adopters.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Special Apperance Package
13 Posts
My first post also. I just bought a 2013 OB with SAP last weekend. I looked at both the SAP model and a car with the Eyesight package. I initially was leaning towards the eyesight package but after looking at one I felt the camera's on the eyesight package encroached too much around the rear view mirror area. I also read that the adaptive cruise tended to be too aggressive applying the throttle and brake. I don't have any personal experience to validate this so this might not be true. I was drawn to the push button start, memory seats and brown leather interior so I ended up purchasing a OB with SAP. After a week I have no regrets. I love the push button start. I never have to take the key fob out of my pocket. The memory seats are great since my wife and I have completely different seat height needs. I only wish the OB with SAP came in a wider variety of exterior colors. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and personal needs. You can't go wrong with either model.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I picked the SAP over eyesight for the memory seats and push button start. The adaptive cruise in the Eyesight package was appealing however the lane departure and possibly the collision avoidance systems would probably drive me nuts with my style of driving.

Either way the sales numbers don't lie. The combination of offering the public what they want with those 2 packages is hard to ignore.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I hesitated on the EyeSight but my wife insisted even though it's my car. One more time over 25 years I get to say she was right.

:)

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I have put 2500 miles on my Outback in the last month and I have Eye Sight. I have not found it to be a nusiance what so ever. One thing it does do that might cause some issues is that if you change lanes without signaling, totally legal to do so by the way in Florida, it beeps at you and flashes a lane departure warning.

I have personally tested Eye Sight to a stop and restart and it works very well. Nothing is perfect a couple times Eye Sight dropped out in very hard rain and directly into sunlight...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
One thing it does do that might cause some issues is that if you change lanes without signaling, totally legal to do so by the way in Florida, it beeps at you and flashes a lane departure warning.
I had no idea that was legal in Florida. That's nuts. I hate when drivers don't signal when changing lanes (and in MA, it's common, despite being illegal). I'd like to see lane departure warnings in more cars to "encourage" drivers to signal. It just makes good sense to tell other drivers what you are doing, I don't understand why people don't use them.

Edit: It's not legal in Florida, anymore. Looks like the law was changed in 2005. Use your turn signals when changing lanes and be safe out there, people!
This site lists the 316.155 law by year, and the "move left or right on the highway" bit was added.
http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?m&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.155.html

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Get eyesight. It may very well pay for itself one day.
Also, once you go with adaptive cruise, you'll never look back.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 LTD with Nav & Sunroof Pkg's
79 Posts
I had no idea that was legal in Florida. That's nuts. I hate when drivers don't signal when changing lanes (and in MA, it's common, despite being illegal). I'd like to see lane departure warnings in more cars to "encourage" drivers to signal. It just makes good sense to tell other drivers what you are doing, I don't understand why people don't use them.

Edit: It's not legal in Florida, anymore. Looks like the law was changed in 2005. Use your turn signals when changing lanes and be safe out there, people!
This site lists the 316.155 law by year, and the "move left or right on the highway" bit was added.
Flsenate Archive: Statutes & Constitution > View Statutes
X2 - Totally agree. How difficult is it to use one's turn signal. Pathetic drivers :28: I ride a motorcycle and hate it when people don't signal. Its for their safety and others.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
203 Posts
For me, it largely came down the the emotional response I (and my wife) had to the interior of the SAP, largely because of the leather (which, not only being a unique color that we both happen to love, is more supple than the Limited leather) and the darker wood. These things are important to us - I want to have that reaction every time I get in the car, and the SAP did it for us. Also, the Pearl Brown paint had a similar appeal. It was just the right car for us.

I do agree adaptive cruise has it's appeal, though, especially if you have long daily freeway commutes, such as SoCal. Neither of us have to deal with that here in Portland on a regular basis, so the EyeSight didn't have as much appeal for us as it might have for others.

Drive both, think about your commuting patterns. If the SAP is largely a shoulder shrug for you, then get the EyeSight for safety & convenience. But if you go "wow" when you open the door to a SAP car, then the SAP package is probably for you.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
do insurance companies factor something like eyesight into risk calculations and pricing?

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Personally, I would have liked a SAP with the eyesight+ and would have paid the extra dollars for it; however, Subaru will not deliver.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
203 Posts
^+1.

I should also say that I was considering some of the premium brands - BMW/Audi/Volvo. The big draw of these brands, to me, was the feeling of quality in the interiors, more so than safety features & tech. The SAP was one of the swing factors for me in staying with Subaru (our previous family car was a '01 OB VDC), even though I still consider the BMW & Audi interiors a step up. But the SAP interior made that a smaller step, small enough that I decided to save the $12-15k.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Eye Sight

I don't have it on my 2013 LTD with special package.
In my opinion, the more gizmos you have on a car the more prone it is to various malfunctions. Case and point: I had a 2010 VW TDI Wagon and all these little petty electrical problems made me trade it in for 2010 Forester after just about 6 months!
Everytime I needed something fixed under warranty, I went to the dealer, they would confirm the diagnosis that I've made. Then, they've ordered the part and I had to come back in a week or so to have the part replaced.
But I guess it works like that with most other car manufacturers...what a jip!

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
do insurance companies factor something like eyesight into risk calculations and pricing?
I asked State Farm. They said they hadn't heard of it. When I asked about other vehicles that have eyesight-like safety features, she said if there were any savings that they would be negligible. She wasn't very helpful to say the least.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
401 Posts
Thanks all for the input. Really giving me a lot to think about. Still dont understand why Subaru did not offer both.
Me 2, but subaru marketing probally wold have balked at a 40K subaru saying that it will never sell. BS, I would by one and I am ready to by, well amost ;).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts