Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steve, one additional "possible" consideration. When I was juggling the decision between the two, a salesman brought up the windshield. According to him, the Eyesight uses a special windshield you'd have to purchase from a dealer should you get a crack or break. He made it sound like a rather large expense versus going to Safe-lite or the like for an aftermarket glass? It sounded reasonable? I'm on my 3rd windshield for my Suburban in 5 years, so it worried me if its true.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited White, GPS & Eyesight
15 Posts
2 months in with my 1st Subaru after selling my 2001 BMW X5. Eyesight, MPG, Subaru AWD and back seat room were the reason i chose it and i'm most impressed with Eyesight. We live in silicon valley and see Google self driving cars all the time, i feel like Eyesight is some of that trickle down technology and it really is amazing.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
401 Posts
I have read here that yes the windshield is a special seperate part number, but give it time and safelite will be able to stock and aftermarket one or just order one from the dealier. I had something (who know what) hit my windshield when I had my baja and safelite didn't have an aftermarket part yet and just ordered it from the delier. Took a couple more days, but it was done well and good. Insurance covered it 100% - my deductable and no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I had no idea that was legal in Florida. That's nuts. I hate when drivers don't signal when changing lanes (and in MA, it's common, despite being illegal). I'd like to see lane departure warnings in more cars to "encourage" drivers to signal. It just makes good sense to tell other drivers what you are doing, I don't understand why people don't use them.

Edit: It's not legal in Florida, anymore. Looks like the law was changed in 2005. Use your turn signals when changing lanes and be safe out there, people!
This site lists the 316.155 law by year, and the "move left or right on the highway" bit was added.
Flsenate Archive: Statutes & Constitution > View Statutes
I don't think it's totally legal to change lanes without using the turn signal ... I think it's the "thing" here in the Panhandle. I have never seen worst drivers anywhere in the U.S. than here. People turn without using turn signals; people stop at green light on intersection when making the left turn instead of advancing into the middle and wait, when traffic clears; texting and smoking at the same time therefore there are no hands on steering wheel.. on and on and on... After living and driving in Southern California and Manhattan, NY for over 40 years I am at a loss, where all these people got their drivers licenses... LOL

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I am really loving the puddle light with SAP combination. I like how they come on at night when they sense the fob is in proximity lighting in conjunction to the interior lights. I refuse to drive another vehicle without push button start and memory seats...period.

I have to admit I do envy the adaptive cruise control. The rest of the nanny stuff I'm not too enthused about.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I am really loving the puddle light with SAP combination. I like how they come on at night when they sense the fob is in proximity lighting in conjunction to the interior lights. I refuse to drive another vehicle without push button start and memory seats...period.

I have to admit I do envy the adaptive cruise control. The rest of the nanny stuff I'm not too enthused about.
The SAP is pretty cool isnt it; although i think i would like the adaptive cruise control, I still prefer the SAP, coming from push button start I refuse to give that up. The memory seat option I will admit I have yet to use. i think I may program two settings: One for me driving, and one for when I have to completely recline the seat and sleep as I wait for the wife and kid to finish shopping.:)

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
Good idea on the memory setting.

The SAP is pretty cool isnt it; although i think i would like the adaptive cruise control, I still prefer the SAP, coming from push button start I refuse to give that up. The memory seat option I will admit I have yet to use. i think I may program two settings: One for me driving, and one for when I have to completely recline the seat and sleep as I wait for the wife and kid to finish shopping.:)
I am still lurking too, but next week I'll either fall to eyesight or SAP,
I am leaning toward SAP due to the saddle brown leather seats, because
its the same car we(me & gf) saw at the SFAUTOSHOW.

Eyesight is good safty tech, but I consider myself a decent enough driver
to step on the break hard to break and NOT tailgate someone.

Memory seat setting is a great and I plan to do the same as the poster above,
and keep one setting for driving with one other setting fulling reclined while I rest in the car waiting for my gf.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got EyeSight and I love it. SAP gives you memory seats and push-button start, and that's about it. Oh, and brown seats. Not that exciting compared to what EyeSight gives you.

You're correct about the blind-spot monitoring. The two cameras face forward and don't have any information about blind spots. When I talk about EyeSight, the FIRST thing people say is 'oh cool, so does it warn you when somebody's in your blind spot??' 'nope'
SAP or Eyesight is going to be the BIG choice when it comes time for us to pull the trigger (sometime next year). Still hard to say which way we'll jump.

As for blind spot monitoring, there IS no blind spot if the side view mirrors are correctly adjusted. The mirror that hangs in front of the driver is for watching the rear view (hence the name); the "side view" mirrors should be renamed "blind spot mirrors." Most people don't adjust them correctly. I'll not go into that here, just go to You Tube and look up "side mirror adjustment."

21 - 29 of 29 Posts