Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eyesight owners:
Where did you put your EZ Pass transponder?

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium, AWP, moonroof
11 Posts
Find a spot where you can't see it while driving, on the windshield behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side is where i Have mine. I forget it's even there since I can't see it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cap'n Ron. That's just where I have put them on all other cars.

I am looking for an answer from an Eyesight owner.
I don't want the transponder to interfere with the Eyesight operation.
Eyesight has two cameras which look through the front windshield. The documentaion advises about the rearview mirror but not about transponder mounting.
I have been in communication with Subaru about this.
Below the rearview mirror is probably okay but since they are working on getting me the correct answer I will wait for their response.
~Harvey

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Search Google Images for "Subaru Eyesight".

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium, AWP, moonroof
11 Posts
Ha eyesight system... Thought it was a silly question about mounting the unit so it WASN'T in your EYESIGHT.

Cap'n Ron

PS that system is some crazy spaceman looking stuff on the 13's!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Harvey- what about the back of the mirror itself? Sure, we all put them on the glass up high back in the beginning when the readers at the toolbooths weren't quite dialed in... but I reckon they've got it by now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. Can't go on the back of the mirror. That would interfere.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Harvey- realizing you're in MA... maybe in one of those plastic ezpass holders suction cupped over/adjacent to the state inspection sticker?

Sorry that my previous post didn't help. I've only seen pictures of the eyesight setup.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Can't you get a transponder that goes on your license plate from EZ Pass? I think they offer this if you request it, not sure if you have to pay extra for it.

https://www.ezpassmd.com/en/about/tolltags.shtml

Problem solved....but I don't think it matters. When I lived out east I used to keep mine in my glove box and it still worked from there, or would just pull it out and set it on the center console when going thru tolls, it worked fine there too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That type is not offered here in Massachusetts.
****, the jerk at the motor vehicle inspection station would not give me a sticker until I removed my license plate frame because it blocked a little of the lettering on the plate.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium CVT PZEV
135 Posts
****, the jerk at the motor vehicle inspection station would not give me a sticker until I removed my license plate frame because it blocked a little of the lettering on the plate.

Odd, especially now that Massachusetts is part of the EZ Pass network, no more "Fast Lane".

And that my mom has a license plate transponder, and has no problem with inspection.

You must be going to the One Honest Inspector in the state!

·
Registered
Outback 2013 Limited
1 Posts
Thanks Cap'n Ron. That's just where I have put them on all other cars.

I am looking for an answer from an Eyesight owner.
I don't want the transponder to interfere with the Eyesight operation.
Eyesight has two cameras which look through the front windshield. The documentaion advises about the rearview mirror but not about transponder mounting.
I have been in communication with Subaru about this.
Below the rearview mirror is probably okay but since they are working on getting me the correct answer I will wait for their response.
~Harvey
Harvey, did you ever hear back from Subaru? I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
I put mine directly below where the mirror attaches to the windshield. I've not noticed any problems with either the EyeSight or the EZ Pass at all.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Outback Limited, CVT, Nav, Eyesight and the rest of the safety stuff.
171 Posts
I put mine directly below where the mirror attaches to the windshield. I've not noticed any problems with either the EyeSight or the EZ Pass at all.
Is the mirror auto-dimming, and if it is have you noticed any problems with it?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
24 Posts
I have had mine in two places since I purchased my Outback. I originally had it in the top left corner of the windshield but then moved it to the top right corner in front of the passenger so I wouldn't need to look at it. There have been no issues in either location.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Is the mirror auto-dimming, and if it is have you noticed any problems with it?
Mirror is auto-dimming, works fine.

The EZ Pass is on the windshield, of course - not on the mirror. The ambient light sensor is on the mirror - so no matter where you put the EZ pass it's not likely to be a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Boston Volvo has EZ Pass license plate transponders on all their loaner vehicles so they must be available in Massachusetts--but maybe only in commercial applications??

·
Registered
2 Posts
EZ Pass out of Eyesight

Harvey, did you ever get a satisfactory answer? I mean besides the glove compartment or--as the Subaru Rep at my local dealership suggested--just waving the transponder in the air? Penny in WV

·
Registered
2014 3.6R SAP Carbide Gray
12 Posts
I have a Txtag sticker between my eyesight cameras directly behind the mirror and it does not interfere with them at all. You can test this by holding something in that position and seeing if the system turns off (lights on dash). It is just a sticker though, not a big box like ez pass. I also have a small parking permit hung from the mirror.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never got a reply from Subaru about this.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts