Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback LL Bean (H6-3.0)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm reassembling my engine after replacing the head gaskets . Last night I was cleaning the timing chain components when I discovered the screen on the oil relief assembly had become brittle and by that I mean I poked a hole in it.

I can't find the screen by itself (just the oil relief case assembly, which hopefully includes the screen) through Subaru. Has anyone managed to find replacement?

·
Premium Member
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,598 Posts
I wonder if the screen is even necessary..

How's the headgasket job on the h6? I presume you pulled the engine?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
@Glennda5id and / or @idosubaru might have a opinion on that. (or at least a name/part number)

_____

and doing them on a EZ30D is longer / harder then a simple EJ251 of the same era.

hope this one was a good candidate. (vs. something that was overheated a lot, or run long and hard under poor conditions or maint.)

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the screen is even necessary..

How's the headgasket job on the h6? I presume you pulled the engine?
Yes, pulled the engine. I'd be warry of running without the screen. The oiling jet for the timing chain is really small. Just about any grit that made it into the system would plug it and that would be a very bad thing.

@Glennda5id and / or @idosubaru might have a opinion on that. (or at least a name/part number)

_____

and doing them on a EZ30D is longer / harder then a simple EJ251 of the same era.

hope this one was a good candidate. (vs. something that was overheated a lot, or run long and hard under poor conditions or maint.)
I'm hoping that someone has figured out a sub $200 option.

This engine was a good candidate. I watch my coolant levels like a hawk so I caught early and never overheated it. Everything was square, all the wearing surfaces looked good and it only had 134k on it. Hopefully new gaskets will get it well past 200k.

That said, if I had to do it again I would just buy a used motor.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
928 Posts
The newer f motors have a screen under the cam carrier,looks about that size. You can buy it separately and cheap. Or at least compare it with your piece at the store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The newer f motors have a screen under the cam carrier,looks about that size. You can buy it separately and cheap. Or at least compare it with your piece at the store.
Thank you! I just found the filter you're talking about, 14451AA050 off a 2016 BRZ. That looks very similar, but with a metal filter element instead of plastic. I'll see if I can find dimensions/pick one up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I just found the filter you're talking about, 14451AA050 off a 2016 BRZ. That looks very similar, but with a metal filter element instead of plastic. I'll see if I can find dimensions/pick one up.
No good. I swung by my local dealer today and took a look at the part above. It looks perfect, just twice the size. None of the parts guys had any idea, and were surprised becasue in their experience Subaru is 'better' about making sub-assembly parts available than the other makes they rep.
Since I really want to get the car back together next weekend I bit the bullet and ordered the assembly. There are 3 in the US, so maybe I'll have it by Friday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts