Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
I recently paid $25 for the idler and $80 for the tensioner and pulley kit from subarupartsforyou.com. Both are oem parts, so a little more expensive. Gives me a little peace of mind spending the small amount more, for these parts anyway.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon Automatic
1 Posts
Can't buy just the idler pulley bolt

So I went to the dealership and they do NOT sell just the idler pulley bolt- they wanted to sell me a whole new pulley for a couple hundred bucks. Any suggestions for just the bolt?

Subaru Parts

There is a very short list of things that you can get aftermarket that work as good as OE. If all you need is the bolt, washer and spacer, it won't cost much at the dealer as all the items are sold independently.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Timken 203FF is the same bearing. $5 at Advance Auto or Autozone, probably others. NAPA blows.

It's also used as a clutch pilot bearing and is used in the front of an H6 alt. Pretty popular. I bought 3 this weekend.

So I went to the dealership and they do NOT sell just the idler pulley bolt- they wanted to sell me a whole new pulley for a couple hundred bucks. Any suggestions for just the bolt?
Yeah they do. . . you just got a lazy parts person.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_28/engine_electronic/alternator/illustration_1/

#6, 23771AA000, about $2 list.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,844 Posts
Hey, has anyone got a decent tensioner poking about?

Mine makes cricket/ratchety noises as it moves back and forth.

If it lasts I'm going to replace it sometime after I fix what needs to be fixed to pass inspection by the end of october.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
I think I do. Condition is unknown as it is currently sitting on a core 3.0 I pulled out of a customer's car when I sold them my used motor. Wasn't making any funny noises that I can remember but it's been a year or so. Has 200+k miles on it tho. . . email me if you want me to dig it up for you.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,844 Posts
Thanks, mine has 213k on it, yours probably has similar wear though it's quiet, so I'm going to hold out for one with fewer miles (or suck it up and buy a new one).

·
Registered
2003 L.L. bean H6
90 Posts
Awesome thread - Just ordered 2 89007 pulleys for my 3.0 on Amazon for $27.24 with 2 day shipping (prime). Looking forward to Spring so I can get this done. Not sure which pulley is making noise on my engine, but I'll do both for peace of mind. Thanks for all the excellent info available on this thread for those who have contributed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OEM pulleys

Starting hearing a squeaking sound outside the car coming from belt area.

Don't want to wait for failure and be stranded and have to replace belt and maybe other parts.

I paid about $76 incl. shipping to buy 2 new ones from a seller on eBay. I thought about using aftermarket ones but would rather go OEM for what is essentially $30-40 more. Also, not sure I'd want to use two smaller diameter ones anyway.

I'll keep the old ones and install new bearings as suggested here and keep them for spares as they seem to have a lifespan of 50-75k miles.

My wife's VDC has 71k miles on it currently and is a really nice performing vehicle.

Next job after this will be getting a new set of spark plugs installed.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
There's another, more recent aftermarket pulley which I believe to be the exact OE part (just like aftermarket tensioners for this application), because it's only listed for 6-cyl. Subaru models, 2001-current. It's Goodyear part 50024, priced around $30. Unfortunately there aren't any pictures yet. Hopefully someone will try it.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
spark plugs

Starting hearing a squeaking sound outside the car coming from belt area.

Don't want to wait for failure and be stranded and have to replace belt and maybe other parts.

I paid about $76 incl. shipping to buy 2 new ones from a seller on eBay. I thought about using aftermarket ones but would rather go OEM for what is essentially $30-40 more. Also, not sure I'd want to use two smaller diameter ones anyway.

I'll keep the old ones and install new bearings as suggested here and keep them for spares as they seem to have a lifespan of 50-75k miles.

My wife's VDC has 71k miles on it currently and is a really nice performing vehicle.

Next job after this will be getting a new set of spark plugs installed.

Horse of a different color, those spark plugs. Just resist the temptation to throw and break things as you get closer to the firewall. Or you could start there knowing that the others aren't as irritating.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean
298 Posts
Finally got around to replacing the pulleys today while doing a coolant change, went to advance and picked up 2 of the 89007 pulleys. They had a different part number listed for the car, but I figured Id just use the one everyone knows works. Came home and changed the idler, the replacement was pretty much exact. Changing the tensioner one tomorrow when the new belt gets here.

·
Registered
2001 Outback AWP 2.5 - 2005 Outback L.L.Bean 3.0
91 Posts
Well, this thread certainly saved my sanity.

Instead of replacing the entire tensioner assembly like the stealership would have recommended, I got away with just the Dayco pulley and some thread locker.

As far as replacing the idler pulley as well, I couldn't get the bolt to break loose with what I would call a sufficient amount of force. (Don't want to go creating more work for myself if the pulley still works for now.)

I guess I just need to get creative with some PB Blaster this weekend and maybe a rubber mallet. :)

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
my bearings were bad but the tensioner still makes a huge racket. it hops and jumps around. If i press down on it with a screwdriver its quiet.

so i guess im ordering a tensioner :(

any tips on a painless replacement?

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Aftermarket tensioners for this application, whatever the brand, are all the same OE part, except with the cast-in "BANDO" marking ground off.

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
that was easy, more or less. took one end of the rad hose off, didn't lose much coolant.

even with my rudimentary tools I got it done.

piece of mind for the trip this weekend.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC H6
431 Posts
n00b question, but if I buy the pulleys, don't they come with bearings installed? If i can get them for $18 aftermarket, is it worth the $10+ price difference to not have to deal with installing bearings (something I have never done before)?

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC H6
431 Posts
n00b question, but if I buy the pulleys, don't they come with bearings installed? If i can get them for $18 aftermarket, is it worth the $10+ price difference to not have to deal with installing bearings (something I have never done before)?
For those as dumb as I was with this question, the answer is yes. I bought the two Dayco pulleys to replace as preventative. I'm sure mine original and have 160k. Anyone have a walkthrough to R&R these?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts