Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 OB H6. Can anyone advise what parts are leaking from the oil cooler running into that pipe up into the engine back. The pipe I’m referring to basically goes from the oil cooler around the engine block/valve covers and up into the subframe there’s a lot of oil seeping on that line. Can someone advise the P# to order I’ll be replacing the oil cooler gasket as well for safe measures.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,290 Posts
the subaru part # is
21370KA001

also sold by Felpro, as
Fel-Pro 72493

or Victor Reinz,...etc. all about the same.

However they fit loose, so you need some RTV goop to help seal the gasket into the bigger groove: like JB weld 31319

I have not gotten around to this,...so mine is just weeping on the garage floor with some absorbent pads / dirt collecting the run off:

As for a simple replacement: I was going to link the one with the guy doing it outside, ..in the dirt,...without sealant.

but here is a @Brucey video,...with a whopping 15,892 views, in almost 3 years !!!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,948 Posts
That part loves to leak.

I have deleted them on 2.5s but not on 3.0/3.6s but imagine it would be the same.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And what about the seepage on the lines running out of the oil cooler? Shouldn’t I be replacing those lines/hoses? Or is the oil leaking and when I turn the vehicle it moves along the line spreading it around? Sounds far fetched 😂

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,179 Posts
A picture would help us help you.

Typically the oil cooler inner gasket leaks and the whole area including the coolant lines you are referring to get covered in oil.

Of course your vehicle may be different so hence the need for a picture or two.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,183 Posts
The lines to the cooler are for coolant. So if you have oil leaking, it is not those.

However, those can fail. So you could replace them, too while you're in there.

I've gotten aftermarket ones, but they're just a generic 90* bend hose, the factory ones have a more complex shape to them and fit better. When I did them (probably 8 years ago), the OEM ones were pretty reasonably priced. Grab your VIN and talk to your local dealer, it might be worth getting them there. They'll certainly have the oil cooler gasket on the shelf, as they fit almost everything for 25 years.

EDIT: I just reread your original post.
from the oil cooler around the engine block/valve covers and up into the subframe
This has me confused. The 2 lines coming out of the oil cooler, one is just a 90 to the bottom of the block, the other goes across in front of the oil pan to the water pump. Shouldn't be anything near the valve covers or subframe. Are we talking about the same thing? The oil cooler is just a little heat exchanger under the oil filter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a second look it seems like its not really oil seepage just grime and dirt stuck on the pipes because of me not having the shield on. Also it looks like one pipe is running out of the oil cooler and into the engine block but there's another pipe under the valve cover that more likely is a coolant line because the oil cooler line terminates into the engine block. The coolant line leads back into the subframe as I referred to in the original post which seems more accurate. Ive pointed out the lines that are covered in grime/dirt if anyone recommends replacing give me a heads up, if I really should get the shield let me know as well.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,290 Posts
updated thread title. to add the word "maybe"

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
In this picture, you're pointing to your block heater cord.

This is a coolant pipe that runs to one of the heater hoses.

You have a lot of oil, everywhere. You've likely had numerous small oil leaks for a long time. It's been dripping, blowing around as you drive, and accumulating filth. Valve cover gaskets, for sure. Something near your oil filter (could be cooler gasket or pressure switch), but actually looks like it's been dripping down the front cover from the front main seal or something. Those rubber coolant hoses are oil contaminated.

If you intend to fix that stuff, you need to start with a very deep clean. Several treatments of degreaser and pressurized water and probably several cans of brake/parts cleaner. Then you can watch for a fresh leak from the source.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
valve cover gaskets have been done no leaks from that for sure. Can your pressure switch leak? If so wouldn’t I have a check engine light? The deep cleaning can be done I’ll figure that out this week. For sure I should be changing the cooler gasket & angle hoses?

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
valve cover gaskets have been done no leaks from that for sure. Can your pressure switch leak? If so wouldn’t I have a check engine light? The deep cleaning can be done I’ll figure that out this week. For sure I should be changing the cooler gasket & angle hoses?
Pressure switch leakage is extremely common. They are not connected to the ECU at all, just the warning light. And most of the time they still function as a switch, but leak oil.

Aftermarket ones are less than $10. I used one and it leaked almost immediately. Subaru one was about $35.

The only thing I would say "for sure", is clean it and reevaluate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts