Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to have the EZ30R in my 05 Outback LL Bean. Before we order the engine, we talked to a local guy who we’ve gone to on many cars and asked about if he could do it and the price. He said that the Japanese replacement motors that have 50-60k miles won’t pass emissions.

Does anybody have any informations about this? We definitely need to either replace or rebuild the engine and we’d rather replace. We’re located I. Utah if that’s any help with emissions by state standards.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,078 Posts
engine is fine. japan government culls off lots of things for lots of reasons. ...and we reap the benefits.
one of the reasons is to just get older cars off the roads there, but also to make and sell more fuel efficient ones. (and keep people employed)...etc. etc. etc.
JDM EZ30R pass federal and state emissions here just fine. (and I live in clean state NY). Its the same exact engine you have.

(its the various smaller EJ series that may need some watches, to make sure what you get will work properly in your EJ car)

the JDM EZ30R are great: plenty of experienced EZ30 lovers here have done quick JDM swaps before tackling a head gasket or scrounging for a us spec junk yard EZ30

the one you get should be listed as 250hp with a plastic intake. (older 212hp ones had metal intakes, and that one is not for your car).
I have been looking at various JDM importers recently and they seem to have lots of both types in stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The local guy is right about the emissions not passing with most jdm motors, the Subaru H6 engines are one of the exceptions as they are identical worldwide as far as I am aware.
A majority of engines from Japan have differences that result in them not being %100 compatible with the usdm ecu's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts