Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I installed a rear view camera. When i start the car ,put the car in reverse i get my image. I back up and put the car in drive and the vidoe is gone as expected BUT my display goes black with the white line on top stating image may be reversed. The only way to get rid of the message is to touch the mode switch and the radio display comes on. I would asssume i do not have to touch the mode switch to get radio back. The deck should know i went from reverse to drive and to switch back to radio diaplay.
Also i cant get the rear view camera to com on if i go from reverse to park numerous times. Should my camara display if i go from P To R numerous times in a row. I can get the camera to turn on once and that/s it. I think for some reason the deck cant reset itself from rear view to nrmal mode. Maybe i have another wire to hook up. All i hooked up to camara was the power to camera from bck up light power. This has to be correct as i do get video whn i put it in reverse. The video cable hooked up to video in fro rear camera(Brown plug). So i dont know what te issue is. The only other wire i hooked up to frm the rear plug was one wire to make my nav and dvd to work while driving. I did this later and i had the rear camera issue before dog this. Has anyone installed a after market camera to this factory deck. Any help would help

·
Registered
832 Posts
The AVIC should be an aftermarket deck, and in my case I've installed many back up cameras but I've always tied on to the accessory wire for power for the camera, and used the reverse wire to toggle the video input on the deck. There could be just enough power in the reverse wire circuit to power up the camera but the voltage may sag just enough to keep it from powering up when you cycle from Park to Reverse.

As for your white line about the reversed image is something I haven't seen. I haven't installed a Pioneer in some time and don't remember having an issue like you are describing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just installed a AVIC X940b and did the by-pass's for that unit. I tried three different cameras and, with the exception of the view, I didn't have any problem like yours.

On my x940 the video signal tells the unit to go to reverse camera mode. The backup light power supplies power to the camera. The camera then sends the video signal to the unit.

From my experience with small security cameras, similar to backup cameras, I'm guessing that the signal from the camera is bad, ie white lines & bad/missing video (black screen). They don't require much power, mine uses 200mw max.

Try hooking the output of the camera to a tv and see if it is clear or has issues when moving the shifter from reverse to drive or park. The engine doesn't need to be running for this... Just hook it up like you would for a vcr using a RCA extension cable less than 30ft in length. You can also reverse this process and send video from another source to the "brown" input lead. Just be sure it is a video signal not sound...

Might be a bad connection or damaged wire during installation too. I had one batch of cameras that had really cheapo wire and when stressed at all would break internally...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here inCanada the Avic 9310 is the standard subaru factory radio on the 2012 outback,2.5 Limited edition. The way i see it when i put it in reverse this activates the camera giving out a signal to turn on my video input. If no signal is present the video input should automatically turn off this video input and my radio display should come back on . I'm leaning that the radio is defectve. I will continue t play with it. Also i noticed that when the radio boots up it no longer shows like a SABARU screen saver on boot up. It no longer does this. Any more help would be appriciated:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
trillseeker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing