Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fog lights on my 2008 OB XT have always seemed like they are pointed down and pretty much worthless. From what I've read here it appears that they are adjustable from the back of the fixture. Is that correct? I asked a dealer and they didn't seem to know about them being adjustable. And if they adjustable, are they any good or should I consider switching them out with something better. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a followup, I went to the dealer and was told that the factory fog lights are not adjustable. Hmmm, I guess I'll have to look alternatives.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
A good fog light should add a little to the lower half of the low-beam pattern and then add much more below and to the sides of it. Are yours not doing this?

·
Registered
750 Posts
My experience with the fog lights on my '05 is that they are quite useless. The seem to just produce some puddles of light on the ground a few feet ahead. Clearly, whoever designed them has never driven in heavy fog and does not understand that you need a wide beam, with a very low, sharp cutoff of the top of it. The light has to shine underneath the fog for some distance and none into the fog. The other thing they got wrong is that the fogs can't be turned on with the low beams off. I driven on mountain roads where, if you don't have good fog lights, the alternative is leaning out the side window with a flashlight. I think they are mostly there for looks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A good fog light should add a little to the lower half of the low-beam pattern and then add much more below and to the sides of it. Are yours not doing this?
Mine are similar to what Radar indicated. No real difference in lighting ahead of you, just adds some light to the sides right in front of the bumper. Other than that, you wouldn't even know you turned them on.:28:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Subemaniac
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing