Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm planning on purchasing a 2019 Legacy 3.6 once they roll off the line in a few months. I recently test drove a 2018 and I was very impressed. I would be very satisfied with the 2018 if I ended up purchasing one. That being said, I know that the 2019's will probably sell fast, and the 3.6's are a little difficult to come by - it took quite a bit of effort to find a dealership that had a 2018 in stock to drive. It appears the new model year launches in June or July. I'm not certain when they hit the lots.

When I bought my current car, it had a lot of options installed after factory delivery; things I didn't really care about. I'm wondering if a factory order is something I should pursue.

I'm not sure on the color yet, I've narrowed it down to two choices, but I know I want the Legacy at this point, and I know I want the 3.6 engine. I also have a strong preference for certain options. Some I can do without - such as the weather mats - as I'm thinking about getting a set of Husky liners. I'm trying to avoid them charging me for $80 for the mats only to turn around and buy the Husky ones. (Similar situation with the cargo tray for the trunk, etc.) But, I would also like the exterior dimming mirrors.

So, I have a few questions about the process. I've searched through the forum and read through a couple threads from a few years ago, looking to validate the information on the forums:

1. I'm in NJ. How long would I expect the factory order to take after I sign the papers?

2. What happens after delivery?

3. What happens if something's "not right" with the order, such as a missing option or some type of cosmetic flaw from transport?

4. What type of deposit is required? Is it refundable if circumstances above happen?

5. How do you negotiate price? Are dealers less likely to negotiate this as it's a factory order, or is there wiggle room since they're essentially guaranteeing a sale?

6. Any first hand experiences from the process you'd like to pass along? Anything you would do differently next time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
13 Posts
1. I placed a factory order for a 2016 Outback 3.6R in early July, 2016. Deliverly occurred the 2nd week of September, so, expect a two month wait between order and delivery.
2. Same as buying one off the lot.
3. The dealer will make it right. Highly unlikely there will be any missing options. The dealer triple checks the order and you must sign off, so if something is missing, it's probably your fault.
4. A $500 deposit was required with the order.
5. No different than negotiating price for a car in stock. They value your trade and as long as nothing substantial has changed when you turn it in, (e.g., accident damage) that's what you get.
6. I used COSTCO's car buying service to negotiate the purchase price; got what I considered a very good deal.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ What he said with an added information bonus.

If you want to save a few bucks, ask which options are available for port vs dealer installation. There is a cost difference in your favor with port installation.

Ask that things are installed at the port. The port is a legal fiction for taxation purposes on the parts used so you're not taxed twice for the same item. The port is not on some waterway or bayou but is adjacent to the plant what the items are installed.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback
82 Posts
Not Legacy related, but I was sort of in your situation when I purchased my 2018 Outback. I didn't want eyesight, RCB or Navigation, but did want auto dim mirrors, Fogs etc. I bought a base model, and added those options that I wanted. Any option that you could want that is PIO, is pre-wired and easy to do at home. Plus, if you are financing, you don't finance in their costs, and can add them as funds are available.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
90 Posts
1. I'm in NJ. How long would I expect the factory order to take after I sign the papers?

2. What happens after delivery?

3. What happens if something's "not right" with the order, such as a missing option or some type of cosmetic flaw from transport?

4. What type of deposit is required? Is it refundable if circumstances above happen?

5. How do you negotiate price? Are dealers less likely to negotiate this as it's a factory order, or is there wiggle room since they're essentially guaranteeing a sale?

6. Any first hand experiences from the process you'd like to pass along? Anything you would do differently next time?

Thanks!
I always factory order my cars. This is my second new Subaru factory order.
1. my 2018 3.6 OB was built and delivered less than a month after I ordered it. They build them in Lafayette, IN. I think they build them fast and well. There is no 'port installation' for domestic build cars.
2. you get the car. they clean and prep it first
3. no flaw found. agree that the options are checked by you before the order flies
4. $1,000
5. They negotiate. I feel my dealer did well for me. I'm honest and direct with them, and they are honest and direct with me. They sold below invoice. There is an ambassador discount for yourself if you haven't used it yet.
6. Don't buy crap you don't need, get everything you want or will need. There are options commonly ordered by the dealer that I don't want, and others they never order that are cool. Check out the full list online. I think the process went perfectly and I love the car I ordered.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not Legacy related, but I was sort of in your situation when I purchased my 2018 Outback. I didn't want eyesight, RCB or Navigation, but did want auto dim mirrors, Fogs etc. I bought a base model, and added those options that I wanted. Any option that you could want that is PIO, is pre-wired and easy to do at home. Plus, if you are financing, you don't finance in their costs, and can add them as funds are available.
PIO? I would consider doing things like the Splash Guards and easy stuff like the Trunk Hook and Trunk Mat myself.

For me, since I want the 3.6, I have no choice but to get the Limited trim since that's the only thing it's offered in. I honestly could care less about a sunroof, I think they contribute to road and wind noise, but you can't buy a car that doesn't exist.

I always factory order my cars. This is my second new Subaru factory order.
1. my 2018 3.6 OB was built and delivered less than a month after I ordered it. They build them in Lafayette, IN. I think they build them fast and well. There is no 'port installation' for domestic build cars.
2. you get the car. they clean and prep it first
3. no flaw found. agree that the options are checked by you before the order flies
4. $1,000
5. They negotiate. I feel my dealer did well for me. I'm honest and direct with them, and they are honest and direct with me. They sold below invoice. There is an ambassador discount for yourself if you haven't used it yet.
6. Don't buy crap you don't need, get everything you want or will need. There are options commonly ordered by the dealer that I don't want, and others they never order that are cool. Check out the full list online. I think the process went perfectly and I love the car I ordered.
There's no port install option for them then? They must be installed by the dealer I purchase from? @Rub suggested that there's a secondary install place right next to the factory, so maybe it's still possible.

I wonder if I can negotiate no "Dealer" emblems on it... I'd just take them off later anyway, and would save me the busy work.

As far as I know the Ambassador coupon has a limitation that you can't use it on special order, must be an in-stock delivery. But, Corporate has offered me a loyalty coupon in lieu of it.

Hopefully I can pair it with VIP pricing at 2% below invoice.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Planned Factory Order:

2019 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited ($32,805)
Crystal Black Silica / Slate Black Leather (Will consider Magnetite Gray with Slate Black also)

Options: (Asterisks denote options I will install myself with the OEM Parts)
1. Eyesight Package (+1595)
2. Cargo Tray* (Will install myself)
3. Remote Engine Starter (+458)
4. Trunk Cargo Hook (x2)* (Will install myself)
5. All Weather Floor Mats* (Will get a Husky liner instead of OEM)
6. Auto Dimming Side Mirrors with Approach Lights (+241)
7. Splash Guards* (Will install myself)
8. LED Light Upgrade* (Will install myself)

Opinions wanted for:
1. Side Body Molding: Is this a wise investment? My Outback has a ton of dings, doesn't seem like these do much... But my Outback is a little taller than an average sedan.

2. Door Edge Guards: My experience on previous vehicles is that these tend to fall off after a few years and add wind noise.

3. Rear Bumper Applique: My Outback has a black plastic plating piece here. Is this a problem for Legacies?

4. Trunk Spoiler: Is this lighted? It looks small enough that it's not lighted. Considering it. I like the accent. Are there long term issues with this like water damage if it's screwed on to the trunk lid?

5. Cargo Net - Side: Think I might want this. But $90? Really?

6. Cargo Net: Might want this if I don't get the side ones.

7. Footwell Illumination Kit: This looks nice. It's blue only, right? Is it on when the car is driving or only when it's off? Is it automatic or is there a toggle switch for it? Can it be dimmed?

Thanks, all. Getting excited. I'll reach out to a dealer by the end of the month to start getting my ducks in a row. (And yes, I'm aware I posted for a 2019 Legacy, which isn't out yet. I'm intending to hold on to see if they do any other changes for what will probably be the LAST year 3.6R...)

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
90 Posts
PIO? I would consider doing things like the Splash Guards and easy stuff like the Trunk Hook and Trunk Mat myself.

For me, since I want the 3.6, I have no choice but to get the Limited trim since that's the only thing it's offered in. I honestly could care less about a sunroof, I think they contribute to road and wind noise, but you can't buy a car that doesn't exist.

There's no port install option for them then? They must be installed by the dealer I purchase from? @Rub suggested that there's a secondary install place right next to the factory, so maybe it's still possible.

I wonder if I can negotiate no "Dealer" emblems on it... I'd just take them off later anyway, and would save me the busy work.

As far as I know the Ambassador coupon has a limitation that you can't use it on special order, must be an in-stock delivery. But, Corporate has offered me a loyalty coupon in lieu of it.

Hopefully I can pair it with VIP pricing at 2% below invoice.
The Legacy is built in Indiana like the OB and the Impreza, so they put what you order on the car at the factory, not the dealer.

Mine both have no dealer emblems - my dealer does not use them on any sale.

IMHO - splash guards, door edge and side moldings are useless. YRMV. I like the factory trunk mat a lot, the winter mats not so much. Huskys are very good, and cheap. I like Aries better, and they add to the quiet. They are out of the floor mat business, but you can still buy the 2015 model that fits the 2018, and they are great. I guess the 2019 will be the same.
All this stuff gets discounted if you buy it with the car, installed at the factory. The 3.6 is a nice engine, and I like the sunroof. I won't buy another car without a sunroof.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Legacy is built in Indiana like the OB and the Impreza, so they put what you order on the car at the factory, not the dealer.

Mine both have no dealer emblems - my dealer does not use them on any sale.

IMHO - splash guards, door edge and side moldings are useless. YRMV. I like the factory trunk mat a lot, the winter mats not so much. Huskys are very good, and cheap. I like Aries better, and they add to the quiet. They are out of the floor mat business, but you can still buy the 2015 model that fits the 2018, and they are great. I guess the 2019 will be the same.
All this stuff gets discounted if you buy it with the car, installed at the factory. The 3.6 is a nice engine, and I like the sunroof. I won't buy another car without a sunroof.
Thanks for the info. Sounds good about the factory info.

Why are the splash guards useless? They have no utility?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts