Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 2.5 limited and it has the factory remote start. Problem is that I only have one key and one remote start fob. Previous owner lost the spare, the valet and the key code tags...:mad:

I called the dealer and the key is no problem for them to duplicate. ($112 per key, $60 per key for laser cut, $65 programming fee any # keys.)

I asked at the parts dept and they could not find a replacement remote start fob listed for the 2012.

I can get one on eBay for $30, but I need to know if the dealer - maybe not my local one! - can program the car to accept the new (used) remote?:confused:

Thanks!

Sandor27

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Sandor,

If it is Subaru remote FOB, the dealer should be able to find it. Not cheap, but available. Should be the same for the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 OB (Without SAP/Key less Start) and the 2012/2013 Impreza. I think it might also be the same one used in the 2012 Forester; however, am not sure. It's the 2 way FOB for the remote starter - I'd give you the part number; however, my eyes can't read the small print on the FOB.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
As posted elsewhere, the Subaru OEM filters are/were made for Subaru by Purolator.
There has been a recent recall on many of those... so, not sure, if Subaru still gets them from Purolator or from someone else....
Did you post this reply in the correct thread?

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Was this a purchase from a dealer or private party? Due to the cost of the keys, I would have insisted I got all of them even if they had to make some if it were a dealer sale. With my 2008, I made sure they knew that I expected all three keys no matter what because they're not cheap for it either!

Might be too late now, but you never know...

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Hindsight: You took delivery with one set of keys. ‘Previous owner lost the spare, the valet and the key code tags’… could mean somebody may have access to your car, you need a reprogram at the very least (w/c should cancel what keys are not present).<O:p</O:p
As far as the eB fob, you won’t know until you bring it – you may be sunk there.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
But before anything, get with your salesperson – and light a fire.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
41 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Mike,

Did you program the remote start FOB on your own? I ask, because it is a real pain, even for the dealer as you need all FOBs and keys to do this, or so it seems.
You are confusing the key itself with the FOB and RS remote. All the keys and the RS unit itself have a unique ID which must be programmed into the ECU by the dealer. This step is already done when your car is new or when the RS is installed. If this step isn't done the engine immobilizer will prevent the car from starting. Adding a key or installing a new RS requires the Subie diagnostic tool and can only be done by the dealer. You can not just add a key so all keys must be present for this process.
Now for the remote portion of the FOB and the RS remote. They can be programmed by the user. There is a procedure in your owners manual for the FOBs and in the RS supplement for it's remote. So you can purchase an additional remote and program it yourself.
It looks like subarupartswebsite.com has the genuine RS remote for $35.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: bought a used RS fob

Update: I bought a used Remote Start transmitter on eBay for cheap. I programmed it to the car using the following sequence:
Open drivers door
turn key in ignition from lock to on to lock to on to lock to on
Hit remote button once
turn key to lock

Worked as advertised. Now just have to get a spare key cut and programmed by dealer and I'm set.

Car is from a dealer, but not from a Subaru dealer. Was a trade in.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Number on the back of the OEM FOB appears to be 4360083; however, not sure as it is very small and my scan to make it larger/readable provided results that were not as good as I'd hoped for. About 99% sure that is the number and no, I'm not spamming...

·
Registered
2 Posts
How to program a Subaru Autostart FOB

The following procedures are from a reference card (not the actual owners manual) that came with my 2010 Legacy Limited (I purchased the vehicle new and the autostart was factory installed). I successfully programmed a new FOB using these procedures
To Program a FOB:
1) Open drivers door (Leave open throughout the process)
2) Press and hold brake pedal (throughout the process)
3) Turn key in ignition from 'lock' to ‘on’ 3x then again to ‘on’ leaving it in the ‘on’ position (the key needs to be turned quickly back and forth, it cannot be turned slow or it will no work)
4) The lights will flash and the horn will honk 3x indicating the autostart it is in ‘programming mode’
5) Hit button on the new remote once
6) The horn will honk once indicating that the FOB is programmed
7) Step #5 can be done again to program additional FOBs
8) Turn key to lock toexit programming mode
9) Test the FOB

Note: The owners manual (not the reference as noted above) indicates that in step #3 (above) that the ignition key should be turned from 'lock' to ‘on’ 2x then again to ‘on’ leaving it in the ‘on’ position. This does not work, the key needs to be turned 3x.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not to dig up a really old thread, but I just tried this with my 2015 outback and a remote I purchased on eBay. (My CPO outback only came with one key and fob)

It worked perfectly.

The following procedures are from a reference card (not the actual owners manual) that came with my 2010 Legacy Limited (I purchased the vehicle new and the autostart was factory installed). I successfully programmed a new FOB using these procedures
To Program a FOB:
1) Open drivers door (Leave open throughout the process)
2) Press and hold brake pedal (throughout the process)
3) Turn key in ignition from 'lock' to ‘on’ 3x then again to ‘on’ leaving it in the ‘on’ position (the key needs to be turned quickly back and forth, it cannot be turned slow or it will no work)
4) The lights will flash and the horn will honk 3x indicating the autostart it is in ‘programming mode’
5) Hit button on the new remote once
6) The horn will honk once indicating that the FOB is programmed
7) Step #5 can be done again to program additional FOBs
8) Turn key to lock toexit programming mode
9) Test the FOB

Note: The owners manual (not the reference as noted above) indicates that in step #3 (above) that the ignition key should be turned from 'lock' to ‘on’ 2x then again to ‘on’ leaving it in the ‘on’ position. This does not work, the key needs to be turned 3x.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JGM2010 is a god sent, Just like Stormtrooper1 said, this worked like a charm on my 2013 Outback Limited, bought 2 FOBs on eBay totaling $30 (just in case one was a dud) Ran through the steps and programed both in under 5 minutes, quick note I did have to turn the key 'lock' to ‘on’ 5 times not 3, I recommend to start with 3 and if you're not hearing the 3 honks try 5

You just saved me a trip to the dealer and at least $65

Enjoy

·
Registered
1 Posts
DGM2010
I bought car with that system, BUT without remote key.
Can you explain if I understand you- I can buy similar remote key, only one reason- the same FCC ID?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts