Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
No. Get a Garmin or Tom Tom and save yourself a ton of money and aggravation. My wife's 2011 couldn't navigate it's way out of a bag.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My 2013 factory Nav works as well as my TomTom does. Both have their problem spots, neither are perfect.

The Nav was significantly improved in 2013. For 2010-2012 I would recommend getting a portable instead, as noted in the above post.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
Go Garmin,, or get frustration.. factory makes you try harder and gives you grief

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
Do a search of this forum with the term "navigation". You'll find 420 threads with LOTS of posts containing the topic. Pick a few recent threads specifically on navigation and enjoy!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Little Automotive tip. People don't buy built in NAV units unless its required to get added vehicle features. More like you wanted vehicle X and that package happen to include NAV. Not the other way around.

In the boating world all the nav units are aftermarket and far far FAR more advanced than the built in dumb NAV units that lack any sort of sensible updates in cars.

If you don't want the SAP outback model then pass on the NAV

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
My 2013 factory Nav works as well as my TomTom does. Both have their problem spots, neither are perfect.
I agree. I've been using TomTom for years, and other than learning the different interface I'm very happy with the Nav unit in our 2013 Outback. Of course EyeSight was what we really wanted, but we also wanted a built in Nav.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited
16 Posts
Do not buy the factory NAV. My google maps is way better on my phone!. The GPS on the Outback points in the wrong direction a lot of times. The dealer even confirmed it and said, sorry, there's nothing we can do. A total waste of money.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
I prefer my base 3.6R with my phone for nav. The voice commands play through the car speakers by pressing the cd/aux button on the radio. Free, regular updates on maps. KISS is my motto! It depends on how you drive whether all the packaged options are the best for you.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I'm happier with it after another round of changing the settings.

None are perfect including after market or other car makers (and my phone).

EyeSight is the real reason I ended up with it and on the whole I'm glad I have that and the high trim car.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
My NAV is no good. I got it because I wanted memory seats but it has a problem with spurious resets. It will be replaced the next time I am in for an oil change. Whether my NAV unit is broken or I am dealing with a design flaw, I don't know. It seems that reset problem is common.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
246 Posts
The Google Maps iPhone app is pretty impressive, and free.
It is very good when you can get good cellular signals. I would suggest to have a dedicated GPS (Garmin or other in-dash unit) when you travel to remote area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts