Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first Subaru. A 2020 Outback XT Outdoors (Onyx) in the States. At about 500 km I started hearing a whine, at first I thought that it was the transmission. I took the car back to the dealership and it turned out to be be the rear differential. On the upside, the dealer was awesome and put me into a new 2019 Outback limited and Subaru is replacing the entire differential. I just hope this was a freak accident and not a sign of poor Subaru quality

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,685 Posts
Certainly not unusual to find folks getting all sorts of things fixed on brand new vehicles. This is perfectly normal and is why you have a warranty - defective parts often fail after a short time. But, anyway, pretty sure rear diff failures are actually very rare on Subarus. The new one will likely last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,406 Posts
It's not a sign of poor quality. That rear diff design has been in use for nearly 30 years and has an exceedingly uncommon failure rate. This is why warranties exist.

Be sure to follow the recommended maintenance and it should outlast the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Unusual for a Subaru differential to fail. I wonder whether there was any gear oil in it to begin with? Did you get the dealer to give you potential root causes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts